I suggest you ...

New VS option to have fully qualified using definitions inside the namespace

It would be nice it there were an option to specify if using definitions, added inside a namespace, should be added fully qualified or shortened using the "Quick Fix" command.
Current it's only possible to add shortened usings, which leads to a strange sorting order for sub-namespaces (and doesn't give that good of an overview what namespaces are used in that scope).
Also the current Visual Studio 2015 feature removes the empty line that separates the using definitions and the class documentation comment, that should probably just be fixed.

For details and some screenshots of the current behavior see: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualstudiogeneral/thread/8673cc0c-679c-493a-baa3-611a33acdc18/

Karsten

173 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KarstenKarsten shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom YipTom Yip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on earth VS shorten the Namespace for us? With Nuget and other open source depencies, this is making developer more difficult to figure out what in house namespaces are being used. If they do that at least give us an option to configure the behavior, or update the Namespace names to fully qualified when user sorts the usings.

• R. J.R. J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a project having multiple references that follow similar namespace naming conventions, the automatic "shortening" of the using statement via the "quick fix" can be maddening. By practice, we fully qualify in order to more readily ensure a using statement is the correct one. The shortened version provided by the "quick fix" forces us to then scroll all the way back up, hover to make sure it's correct and then go ahead and add on the prefix to fully qualify. This feature request would be a TREMENDOUS time saver.

Feedback and Knowledge Base