I suggest you ...

Consider changing the behavior of the "create definition/declaration" menu option.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351424/consider-changing-the-behavior-of-the-create-defin.html
In Visual Studio 2015, Microsoft added the not so little light bulb that comes up every once and a while with suggestions. I would you the team to reconsider changing the behavior of the "create definition" so instead of opening this annoying inline editor at the bottom, it takes you directly to the source file. All the c++ productivity tools override this native behavior because it is so terrible and annoying.

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex Goldberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I use this feature aggressively, and *never* want to edit code in that tiny peek window! Peek is fine for a quick glance at an existing function, but not for creating new code.

For reference, here's the current workflow (I repeat this dozens of times every single day):
    * Trigger "Create Declaration / Definition"
    * Save (otherwise, I'll get a prompt when I try to close the peek window)
    * Trigger "Go to Definition" to open the source file to fill out the implementation.

That last step is particularly painful, because it can take up to 10 seconds to find the definition (the one that was *just* created and open in the peek window)

• Simon Collis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully you'll do this soon as it's a horrible experience. Doesn't happen with C# or .Net languages, and yet it does with C++. Why? Do Microsoft really not care about developers any more? Does feel that way sometimes...

Feedback and Knowledge Base