I suggest you ...

Support SSAS / SSIS / SSRS in Msbuild

I would love to see MSBuild support building BI project types for CI. Currently, the only out of the box way to build these projects on a Continuous Integration server is by using devenv.exe. Devenv.com is fussy and will hang or not build projects at all. Additionally, licenses need to be periodically refreshed for it to continue working. It's a mess.

234 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mark Wojciechowicz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Hennie de Nooijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Question : I'm using the msbuild task for building SSAS Tabular projects in VSTS and that seems to be working properly. Is this wish about the command line tool Msbuild? What is the difference with MSBuild in VSTS?

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump for SSAS. I extended msbuild for SSIS but failing to find a way to do so for SSAS as well

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Supporting this and agreeing with previous posters - we are finding it extremely difficult to build and deploy our BI solutions that include database projects, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS.

The main workaround is to create a bunch of manual scripts and use devenv, which is complicated, time consuming, messy, and not best practice.

• Mark Holst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon. It's 2017. The new RDL format means we can't work-around by simply copy/pasting the RDL artefacts to the target servers anymore. We're stuck calling devenv.com and the bucketload of fail that comes with it.

• Rami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

devenv also doesn't seem to build solutions with respect to project dependencies the same way msbuild does, requiring the "maximum number of parallel project builds" setting to be set to 1.

• Rami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, when trying to build a SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2015's report project file, msbuild indicates: warning MSB4078: The project file "MyReportProject.rptproj" is not supported by MSBuild and cannot be built.

• Don Halloran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this is incredibly frustrating.

What is the Microsoft enterprise stack? SQL Server for your database, .NET for your application development, SSRS for your reports, SSAS for your analytics, SSIS for your integration.

Why is it so hard to set up a development and deployment pipeline for Microsoft solutions using Microsoft tools? This is a shameful absurdity.

• Kay Unkroth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSBuild support is on the backlog, but there are higher priority items. We are going to re-evaluate the priority again, but I can't make any promises. Anyway, it helps to see a moderately high number of votes here. This is definitely helpful.

• Simon DM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. Isn't it ironic that SSDT is being built and released in devops format with very regular updates - yet the tool they are making makes the devops/ci world near impossible!

Feedback and Knowledge Base