I suggest you ...

Extension Updates should update within VS

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351097/extension-updates-should-update-within-vs.html
I've run into a couple extension updates (typescript and ASP.Net Web tools) that have shown up in the notifications area and correspond to the Extensions and Updates manager dialog. When I initiate the update via the button in the dialog, they trigger a download in my browser and a separate installer window.
Updates that are advertised in the update manager should be .vsix installs when ever possible (especially for MSFT components) and should install within VS. Ideally without a restart of VS.
Launching a download in the browser breaks the continuity that used to be present in the Extensions and Updates manager dialog.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sean Brockway shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re making good progress here, and expect to have solved this problem for the vast majority of Microsoft extensions by the RTM of Visual Studio “15” (the next version of Visual Studio). Extensions that do this are largely MSI or EXE installers which need to perform operations that VSIXv2 doesn’t support. We’ve added more capabilities to the VSIX format for the next release of Visual Studio and the two you mention in particular will be able to install directly using the VSIX installer.

Thanks for your feedback! Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • smehaffie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree and most of the ones I have installed are MS Components (i.e. Web Tools, Core Preview, etc). These should all show up under product updates. If a gallery component is not a product update and cannot install using a VSIX then there should be a way for the gallery owner to mark it as such so the person installing it knows. Also, if the install needs to shutdown VS to install the extension then this should be indicated somewhere as well. It would also be nice if VS saw this as well and offered to shutdown before kicking off the install.

** Note: There are some VSIX installs that need to restart after the install has run. The bigger issue is the installs that give you a message that you have to shutdown VS to do the install. The experience with those type of extensions / product update could be improved.

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we have more than one extension to update (today it's insights and typescript) we need to do it like this:

* click update (1) in the Extension and Updates manager
    * wait for installer to load
    * close visual studio
    * wait for installer to finish
    * yay (1)
    * open visual studio
    * click update (2) in the Extension and Updates manager
    * wait for installer to load
    * close visual studio
    * wait for installer to finish
    * yay (2)
    * open visual studio
    * back to work

It would be nice to provide a wait to do "update all". I tried launching both updaters at the same time before closing visual studio, but one of them will just fail saying that an installer is already running and forces me to repeat the process.

Feedback and Knowledge Base