I suggest you ...

Enable turning off Roslyn Code Fixes

I would like to speed up Visual Studio 2015 by disabling the analysis of my sourcecode by Roslyn (code analysis, code fixes, analyzers, etc) when I am working in C# projects. In previous releases of Visual Studio there were two options in the Tools menu >> Options >> Text Editor >> C# >> Advanced:

- Underline errors in the editor
- Show live semantic errors

I am a user of ReSharper, so I do not need this functionality. The reason I think Roslyn is causing the slow-down is that when I use the same version of ReSharper in VS2013, I do not see the slow-downs that I experience in VS2015 (spinning wait cursors, flickering Intellisense menus, etc).

I have seen various suggestions on the Internet, but they do not appear to be the same idea as a nice checkbox would be in the Tools menu >> Options dialog.

Here are the suggestions I have seen to turn off parts of Roslyn:

1) Disable using the "Squiggles" registry key: https://m.reddit.com/r/VisualStudio/comments/42lcal/any_way_to_completely_disable_live_code_analysis/

2) Turning off Analyzers in the active rule set: http://stackoverflow.com/a/31357300/35133

But none of these are "official" Microsoft suggestions, and it would be nice to just be able to eliminate that churn in the IDE period.

173 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David McClellandDavid McClelland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jerry HewettJerry Hewett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note to the Developer Tools division: Stop opting developers INTO features they don't want.

A lot of us don't want Roslyn Code Analysis, and don't even want it installed OR available in Visual Studio.

A lot of us don't use IntelliSense, and don't ever want to see warnings or errors related to Intellinsense. A lot of us don't use Azure, and don't want anything related to Azure installed and turned on by default.

Stop trying to force developers to use things they don't want, don't need, and aren't interested in. Give us a checkbox -- LIKE THE INSTALLER USED TO DO -- to let ** US ** decide what we want and don't want in Visual Studio.

• MaximMaxim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like some Roslyn recommendations.. so I prefer to have custom rules. I am not able to do that in VS2015 Update 3 for .Net Core libraries (net461)... even with Resharper!

• David McClellandDavid McClelland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see this also being useful for developers who prefer to "just code" in Visual Studio instead of having the IDE do a lot of the Roslyn analysis of "unnecessary usings", "unnecessary reference", etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base