I suggest you ...

create solution without folder

This fix should take you literally SECONDS to fix.

It's 2016. And you STILL do not allow users to create a solution file in the **** folder they selected, you FORCE the creation of a sub folder which is often not required.

Then we need to close VS. Move the solution file BACK to the correct location, then open it up just to start using it.

All you need to do is allow us to untick this 1 tick box.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phillip Haydon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Visual Studio 15.8 release and the IDE is still not creating the solution file in the folder they **** selected! Disappointing. Why even say this is "COMPLETED"?

• Ondřej Tučný commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really embarrassing that the Visual Studio team constantly IGNORES the typical workflow of almost every software team:
    1. Create repository
    2. Create workspace (plus arbitrary folder structure, based on conventions of that particular team)
    3. Create solution IN THAT workspace WITHOUT any stupid subfolders
    4. Check in

There is ABSOLUTELY NO "create empty solution in subfolder, close, move on folder up, delete unnecessary subfolder, open again" intermediate step WELCOME WHATSOEVER. NEVER, EVER!

• Vince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2018 and this is still a thing?!? I wanted my .sln file saved as c:\repos\myproject\src\<solutionname>.sln but it wound up in c:\repos\myproject\src\<solutionname>\<solutionname>.sln

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At our company we have a specific folder structure we adhere to and it isn't SolutionName/SolutionName.sln. The fact that MS specifically disabled this checkbox is really amazing. We aren't allowed to pick the folder we want to save our project into? Some MS project team sat down in a meeting and said, "Hey, let's take this simple feature away from our users and force them to do it our way" and everyone agreed. SMH

• Seven Dreams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like this idea. I would prefer that there is _not any folder at all_ created when creating a solution. Often I set up the project skeleton as described here:

http://green-candy.osdn.jp/repo_setup.html#step-3-establishing-the-directory-template

Then in the 'build' folder I want to let MSVC create the solution and vcxproj files, but it creates them in a seperate folder... Really annoying, requires the manual work as described by OP.

• Jonathan Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This applies to all project types, including "Visual Studio Solution".

For example, I might be trying to create a solution in the root of a micro-repository (especially via Team Explorer in an empty repository). In order to update the repository to team standards, I have to close the solution, move it and then re-open it.

This is because the "Create directory for solution" checkbox is disabled in checked state.

Feedback and Knowledge Base