I suggest you ...

Provide examples when a user presses F1. The technical documentation when clicking F1 is useless. Provide examples on F1 like stackoverflow.

Just want to click F1 on a symbol and see the usage examples for it. Perhaps let me post my own example right there and others that like it can vote it up. Just put the structure in and let the community curate it. You could overtake stackoverflow in a year.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saying that F1 is useless is plainly wrong. Often you get exactly the information you need and in many cases there are samples.

And in some cases, you can indicate if you find the resulting page useful. At some point, I think it was even possible for the community to add their own comments. I don't know if that possibility was removed...

By the way, it would be useful if you would show a few example where F1 is problematic. In fact, Visual Studio support many languages, librairies and frameworks and the help usefulness might vary somewhat depending on the area you work on.

In my case, I do mainly C# development in which case the help is quite good often with appropriate samples.

However having another shortcut (maybe Ctrl+Shift+F1) that would display a form to search the web with some user-definable patterns would be nice.

Feedback and Knowledge Base