I suggest you ...

Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 is very slow. Please do something about it.

Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 is very slow. Please do something about it.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Peter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 x64 Enterprise - Build 1511 - version 2.0
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U CPU @ 2.60 GHZ
    16,0 GB MEM (RAM)
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 250GB
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise

On compiling Visual Studio (NET 4.6) my CPU is on 20% and my Memory is at around 40% - 60% (depending on other programs I have running). Still Visual Studio feels sluggish and slow, lot of wait until response windows. Everything is running locally (not network dependencies).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new edition is really really very slow from the beginning u start it and as you keep working on it, it gets slower which is really pathetic.

• Tuy_phong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Visual Studio 2015 very very low, upgrade from visual 2013 to 2015 is a mistake

• Arthur Tchaikovsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bart I don't use C# at all. It is not a compiler or anything else fault but .NET is the main cause of sluggishness.

• WizX20 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 x64 Enterprise - Build 1511 - version 2.0
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U CPU @ 2.60 GHZ
    16,0 GB MEM (RAM)
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 250GB
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise

On compiling Visual Studio (NET 4.6) my CPU is on 20% and my Memory is at around 40% - 60% (depending on other programs I have running). Still Visual Studio feels sluggish and slow, lot of wait until response windows. Everything is running locally (not network dependencies).

• Arthur Tchaikovsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Knowing_me_Knowing_You here, I was pointing out to that problem long long time ago, I believe since V(ery) S(low) TM 2010 or 2012.
    Nothing really changed and as long as they stick to .Net nothing will change.
    If you need performance you stick with C++ dummy! V(ery) S(low) not only doesn't look good, even though .Net was the 'thing' to go for if you wanted your applications to look cool, yeah my a**, but on top of the ****** look, the performance is PATHETIC!
    This will not change as long as they stick to .Net and 32bit.

• Jacek Czarniecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not everyone needs all features of VS immediately after start of the IDE and even later. Wouldn't it be wise to cut some large sets of functionality out to make it load faster and not require so much memory?

I am choosing VSCode (+ MSBuild from command line) instead of VS more frequently since 2015, but this seems to suggest my company is wasting money on buying full IDE. I tried to upgrade CPU to a fastest one per core (4.2GHz), but I can still feel the "lags".

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio has been slow ever since they moved to WPF. Try VS 2008. It starts in a second and is FAST.

• Khải commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Which language do you use to build VS (especially VS2015)? I guess you used C#. I think you should replace most of its core by native code (i.e. C++) and improve C# performance.

I also suggest you to divide VS into many pieces (i.e. packages, addons ...), so when I install VS, I install only what I want and also save my time (I definitely don't want to spent 2 - 4 hours just to install VS)

• DmnKbk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did some researches/comparisons on how the two version of Visual Studio works. 2015 vs 2013 and below are my concerns..

I run on both scenario the same soultion (83 projects, VB .Net)
    My PC's config:
    OS Name:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
    Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16,0 GB

Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise:

When I run building/compilation on solution I found in task manager:
    - 8 x MSBuild.exe each per c.a. 30MB
    - 2 x VBCSCompiler.exe each per c.a. 1.2GB
    - 11 x conhost.exe each per c.s. 2MB

What is really problematic no one of above processes are killed after finishing the building porocess.

Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2013

When I run the same solution (83 projects, VB .Net) and started rebuilding process, in task manager I found one.. literally one MSBuild process.

What is even more sad the time consumed for overall building process is comparable on both versions of Visual Studio.
    As you can noticed above my pc is not maybe the fastest one, but from the other hand is not the scrap.

I would also mention that even after finishing the compilation process often VS 2015 text editor is blinking what prevents from editing.

Something ordinary is falling into frozen mode and message that "Visual studio is busy..." I know he processes something in background but why so often?
    Please do something with the performance in VS 2015.

Best Regards,

Feedback and Knowledge Base