I suggest you ...

Continue but temporarily ignore active breakpoints (as in chrome tools)

In chrome debugging tools when halted on a javascript breakpoint you can click the 'resume script execution' button which then continues until the script finishes or until it hits another breakpoint (just like VS debugger behaviour).

If, rather than clicking the button you press and hold it, an option appears which if clicked, continues execution but temporarily ignores any further breakpoints even though the breakpoints are still active.

Maybe VS already has this continue-but-temporarily-ignore behaviour but I haven't found it. If not, I think this would be a great addition to Visual Studio. At the moment if I'm halted on a breakpoint and continue execution, if there are further breakpoints in the code path I either have to continue on each one, or disable all breakpoints continue and then re-enabled them.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
A Newcomb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Palash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need same functionalily. It is cumbersome to disable all breakpoints and then F5, then again enable breakpoints, specially when you have some set of enabled and disabled breakpoints already.

• Brian Lacy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this as well. I hate having to constantly, manually enable/disable breakpoints! I just want to hit a single button to "Continue" while IGNORING all current breakpoints, but ONLY until the program returns control to the user -- e.g., when the "Continue" button in VS would typically be grayed out -- then at the NEXT breakpoint it hits after that, I'd like the debugger to go ahead and break execution as normal.

• Michal Ciechan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is exactly the reason I came here!

At the moment I have mapped 2 keyboard shortcuts for Disable All Break Points (Global - Ctrl+D, Ctrl+D), and Enable All Breakpoints (Ctrl+D, Ctrl+E).

I do the following about 30-100 times a day, depending how many test I am debugging:

Disable All Breakpoints
    Set at the point at which I want to hit break point
    Run Test
    When break point is hit, re-enable all break point
    Step through code at/around the break points to figure out whats going on.

I really would love a Run-To (the little green arrow) but with option of disabling breakpoints until it reaches that line of code

Feedback and Knowledge Base