I suggest you ...

Provide the option to disable Git publish in visual studio status bar.

After the latest update (2) there is a new Publish button in the bottom right of the IDE. Doesn't state what it does, and even though TFVC is used it still creates a GIT repository on right click. Please provide an option to disable that button and please don't make my source control choices for me.

287 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jozef Izso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disable this utterly stupid notification. We work with Subversion in our corporation and we are proud of it. We don't care about your Git offering in cloud.

• Andrew Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This infuriates me almost every day. And whenever I mis-click and don't hit the X perfectly, my project settings get messed up, my git state gets messed up, etc. and it wastes like 15 minutes or more of my time. I've probably lost hours of billable time (due to distractions and fixing up the mess it makes if I mis-click) due to this. Stupid.

• pierssen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely despise the "Backup and collaborate" popup. It doesn't go away on its own, and when you try to close it, if you don't hit the "X" dead on, it sets up the project for Git. This is one of the most god-awfully designed new features of VS2015, and I wish I could disable it permanently.

• Andrei Kalantarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can tolerate the button, but the "upload and collaborate" nag is very annoying. And especially annoying is the answer "if you don't need it, write the extension". Do I need to learn how to write extensions just to remove a distraction? It has to be controlled by plain setting, and it has to be off by default.

• Emiliano Magliocca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree it's really annoying, specially if you're already using a version control like visual studio online in my case... looks like MS wants you move away from their own products

Feedback and Knowledge Base