I suggest you ...

Please, please compromise with Visual Basic 6 users...

Dear Microsoft,

It is abundantly clear that you will never produce a new version of VB6, especially not one which is 64-bit and cross platform. Doing so would compete with your goals of subscription based software in the near future.

So... how about a simple compromise with the VB6 users? I use VB.NET and I like it. But the syntax is extremely difficult for many users. However, I have been working around this problem for sometime now. I have created my own huge runtime library of wrapper functions (including API calls) to replace familiar VB6 functions which have been removed from VB.NET. Sure, the VB.NET controls are slightly different from those of VB6 (but far better in my opinion) and must be upgraded when porting a VB6 application to .NET. However, the syntax I program with now in VB.NET using my library is almost identical to that I used in VB 5 & 6. Honestly, there is little or no difference at all. I don't use any of the .NET syntax such as "If System.IO.File.Exists(Filename) = True" Then. I simply use my API warpper functions such as "If FileExists(Filename) = True Then".

Now... if we (meaning the VB6 user crowd) create our own consortium whereby we create, maintain, and share an open source runtime library or collection of wrapper functions to replicate the removed VB6 syntax, will you (meaning Microsoft and your manpower) compromise with us in creating for VB.NET a compiler to produce native code? Can you produce such a compiler so we can do away with that Just-in-time garbage compiler which produces slow, non-incrypted code?

If we exude the iniative to create an open source library which links to VB.NET in order to replicate the VB6 syntax, and you develop a .NET compiler for us which produces lightening-fast, fully native, encrypted, cross-platform, and 64-bit executables for desktop, tablet, mobile, and web applications, we will stop asking you to produce a new version of VB6. Of course, VB.NET would still need to include the JIT compiler for those who like it. We just want in the options dialog an additional choice of a native compiler.

So... think very carefully on this proposal. Please compromise with us. If you do your part and produce this compiler, we will do our part and produce the open source library(ies) which replicate the VB6 syntax. Since we will then have essentially what we are currently asking for, we will leave you alone and will stop asking for a new VB6.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Visual Basic programmers worldwide

679 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon