I suggest you ...

A simple option to keep console window of console apps OPEN after it exits.

Please provide a simple way to keep console window of console apps visible *after* it exits. Do not force us to play tricks like getch(), command("pause") and you know what.

Just add a checkbox in Debug options: Keep the $^&% window open.
And make it default. Please!

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
p.a. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Henry Kuhler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$^&% good idea. I guess there is an elite version of Visual Studio where this feature is standard for years but underprivileged humans must suffer

• Tap Vee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a small bother, but actually does make sense. When you are debugging, you are presumably using the IDE, and it makes sense to keep the console visible so you can see it after the program terminates.

When you are compiling for release, the console will do what it does by default in Windows, when the program is clicked. Run the program and close then closes the console.

So, if your console program flashes on your screen, when you compile and run it for release, that is because that is exactly what it is going to do when you release if to the customer.

• David Wilkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have never understood why the IDE is set up so that the program will pause at the end when using "Start without debugging" but not when using "Start with debugging". For me it is no problem; I just use "Start without debugging" or place a breakpoint, but this is a massive cause of confusion for new users.

• p.a. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Stan Thomas Then you belong to a happy minority whose programs never hit unexpected exception. When this strikes, the _getch, or similar crutch, won't help.

• Stan Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm happy with the way it is now (and always has been).
    Most of the time I just want to test my program and have it break into the debugger if something goes wrong. I can always add breakpoint or add a call to _getch() at the end of main() if I want something else.

Feedback and Knowledge Base