I suggest you ...

Set COMPLUS_FORCEENC to 1 for any process launched using "Start without debuggging"

I assume that the fact that you spent time on engineering the 'Edit and continue on attach' feature announced here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2015/04/29/net-enc-support-for-lambdas-and-other-improvements-in-visual-studio-2015/

means that you recognise that there are circumstances where developers don't want to launch their process under the debugger even when they are planning to use it later. This is great; so thanks! Unfortunately it's a little bit awkward to use at the minute but I think this could be addressed with a minor improvement in Visual Studio...

The ideal thing would be to simply make sure that COMPLUS_FORCEENC=1 is added to the environment of any process launched using "Start without debugging". AFAICT, the only undesired consequence of this would be the allocation of some additional memory for developers launching this way who do not want to use Edit and continue. If this is a concern the feature could be optional.

Thanks for reading.

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nick Form shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nick Form commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Developers might be more familiar with the command I'm referring to above as "Ctrl + F5" start.

Feedback and Knowledge Base