I suggest you ...

Microsoft can make an update of the VB6 to VB7 (Classic VB)

1) It should be able to create VB Command Line application.
2) API selection dialog which will put the selected API on the project.
3) It should be able to create both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
4) It should also have a feature to create self dependent application which doesn't depend on any runtime library.
5) Change the looks similar to the VS2013/VS2015.

# If Microsoft does create this new COM based programming language I am sure many programmers will switch back to Microsoft.
# And really there is not point in abandoning such a huge crowd of programmers who actually love to program in Visual Basic 6.0.

Why should Microsoft make an update?
Because it WILL attract more programmers, as simple as that!
Probably that's how shop/market works, what you should sell should depend on the needs and likes of people, same case here! If people don't want to program in Visual Basic.NET that means people don't want Visual Basic.NET, if people want to program in Visual Basic 6.0 means they want newer version of Visual Basic Classic to be released. May be Microsoft should try out releasing two Visual Studio Packs (one should exclusively contain Visual Basic Classic and the other exclusively should contain Visual Basic.NET) and see the sales, which one is higher the VB Classic or Visual Basic.NET.
May be Microsoft could also release both of them together. I don't understand why Microsoft has opted out of releasing Visual Basic Classic. They can release it along with VB.NET. But there is no point in not releasing Visual Basic Classic because Microsoft cannot force developers into programming in Visual Basic.NET rather they will move into other languages.

Please get us a newer version of Visual Basic Classic (Visual Basic 7.0).

1,045 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The Programmer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sten2005 - Microsoft support VB6 programming on Windows 10 until at least 2025 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rubberduck v 2.3.0 launched

Rubberduck officially works in Visual Studio 6.0, the glorious, the… legendary VB6 IDE.

That’s right: code inspections, code metrics, all navigation enhancements, unit testing, refactorings, …all your favorite Rubberduck features, in the Visual Basic 6.0 editor.

https://rubberduckvba.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/introducing-rubberduck-v2-3-0/

Rubberduck is an open-source COM add-in that enhances the VB6 Editor, the glorious VB6 IDE… which was last updated well over 20 years ago.
        From refactoring tools to code inspections, from the member-level Code Explorer and its ability to organize modules into folders, to the ability to quickly locate and navigate to literally anything that has a name, or the 64-bit compatible Smart Indenter port, or, or, or… Rubberduck’s scope is huge – and that’s only a part of what makes this project so awesome.

• Arnold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        I give up my programing for years ago... reason is that incomming visual basic.net. VB6 whas fun to
        use and work with so Im agree to all above nemnt.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB Classic programming language is good and all its applications were strong please take care of them from Microsoft

• Paulo Clemente commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 is the best Windows Rapid Application Development language!
        Microsoft, please upgrade VB6 to VB7 64 bits.

• Med B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still use VB6..., .Net was too cumbersome from day one (early 2000s). The absence of an upgrade has let the door open to alternatives of which many don't measure up...Every time I have a quick application to write, VB6 comes first for simplicity, speed and swift delivery.
        Do I need all the fancy features of OOP? well, no! I would use C++ for that...
        and, you don't need a "software architecte" to solve all your programming issues. The world of small apps is all around us to demonstrate the point! A good platform like a natural upgrade to VB6 would have also helped the Windows embedded platform, the quasi-failed Windows phone etc...
        Does this make bad business sense?
        Can a release be made 20 years on?

• Brajesh Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still working on vb6.0 & loving it.
        It's great idea to back it again and relase new version with latest facility.
        Developing desktop in vb6 is far better then .net

• Mathieu Guindon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, but in the mean time there's an open-source project written in the latest version of C# (oh, the irony!) that extends the VBIDE with modern-day functionalities, including unit testing, refactorings, enhanced navigation tools, static code analysis and code metrics, and more tooling is actively being developed every day.
        This open-source project (which, full disclaimer, I manage), is Rubberduck (http://www.github.com/rubberduck-vba/Rubberduck) - a recent pull request enabled support for the VB6 IDE, which means Rubberduck release 2.3 will be the best thing to happen to VB6 since vbWatchdog, MZ-Tools and Smart Indenter (vbWatchdog author is a contributor; MZ-Tools author helped early on, and the original VB6 Smart Indenter source code was donated to the project and ported to C#, so Rubberduck's indenter will honor your Smart Indenter settings).
        It's not perfect in any way - but it's VERY ambitious and Rubberduck's parser has to be the most serious OSS attempt to correctly parse VB as per the language specifications; we're getting into expression evaluation and code semantics now - if you love VB6 and want to enhance the IDE tooling, learn some C# and contribute!

• filippo catanzariti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

20 years of programming in vb6, visual c, fortran, Delhi and in recent years in .net.il .net is not absolutely fine.I am sorry for the effort made by Microsoft but all the choices made in those years were erring including the do not update the best language. it's time to update vb6

I still develop large programs in VB6, because it is so easy to do and because it is so easy to implement at computers of customers.

• lorimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I know, VB 6.0 still runs in win 10 and I believe this will be a continuous support of windows operating system for there are thousands or more of business applications developed using this technology being utilized by the different businesses and industries. And therefore, in any update or new version of windows that will be released, the IDE, applications compiled and developed using vb 6.0 in any operating system should be supported. If there would be a newer version which will be called VB 7.0, i HOPE this should have a backward compatibility with lower versions and should include the object-oriented concepts and mobile development...

• Anonomous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a small consulting practice that works with charitable organizations that rely on a VB6 application that was first developed under XP, then in the XP Module running in Win7. Unfortunately, Win10 will not support the XP mode. Fortunately, the app works on Win10 but the VB6 IDE does not readily work on this platform. This application uses a number of 3rd-party controls and has about 500K lines of code in 8 modules. It's a very complex application that took about 10 years to fully develop. Given that I am only a few years away from retirement, I do not have the time nor financial resources to convert to .net. When the application no longer is supported in newer OSs, I am out of business and the charities that depend on this application will no longer be supported if they upgrade their systems past Win10. I may not be the only one out there in this situation.

This is the time Microsoft should bring back VB6, to compete with others, VB CLASSIC will remain for ever, earlier the better, its unfair to deny the majority request

• Tim Goldstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic and Visual Basic, just like VB.NET are ways for people to get started with programming. The first two are by no means capable to build software-systems that are planned entirely by architects. The most important terms here are scalability, maintainability, reusability and most importantly separability.

Thinking that VB6 or anything alike should be used for professional purposes nowadays mainly shows the narrowness of one's horizon as well as missing advanced education.

Use this for whatever small tools you want to create with it. It's okay, you learn a little how to program with this. But don't think that these tools you learn to work with are the tools you should work with in any company which wants to use your software for more than a couple of years.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base