I suggest you ...

Show line differences in merge

Currently (in VS2015) the file DIFF tool highlights lines that are different, but also highlights the specific differences within the lines. This makes it very easy to see exactly what changed. But the MERGE tool only highlights the lines, not the differences within the line, which can sometimes make it much harder to figure out what changed, especially if the change is very minor. Please add the ability to highlight the line differences in MERGE.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael Bray shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • drayle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The features of vsdiffmerge are quite sad given the cost of Visual Studio. Freeware (winmerge) provides a better merging experience than the VS merge tool.

• Praveen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also the highlighter of line differences is not very clear.. lie if I have blank line on one file and an addition on new file ..the difference is not evident.(No color highlighting exists)

• Ty Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to add that the result window jumps around on me constantly while trying to edit within it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base