I suggest you ...

Please, make a 64bit version of VS IDE....!!!

Idea is simple... Visual Studio x64 version!!

303 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Petr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Siarhei Kuchuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make VS of x64 and announce it 3-5 years in advance so plugin developers could rebuild their plugins for it. Noone develops on x86 machines nowadays. VS takes much memory during development of web-sites. That's why we had to switch to VS Code for front-end development.

• Denis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with DanielK.
        Once you start using different tools within VS, designers, visualizers or even as simple as Resharper, it quickly runs out of memory. I have to constantly watch the process memory, if I check timely I can restart VS, if not then I have to kill the process b/c it freezes.

This has been an issue for many years and in many companies, many environments where I worked. I wasted hours b/c of this.

Please, please, please, create a 64bit version of VS. I don't get justifications of your tech leads on not doing this.

• Daniel K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm waiting for this feature for a looong time. When working with WPF designer and a large solution of 40 big projects, we're used to kill the studio process daily at least (When it approaches 2GB and almost freezes).

• tim.glen.cowley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS runs out of memory and dies a lot when our debug visualizers are in use. When that happens, I switch to XCode and work on porting those visualizers. Now that I think of it, the only reason I use VS day-to-day is those visualizers.

Personally, I'd rather see those debug visualizers ported than continue using VS. Please maintain the status quo there in dev div!

• Jack Adrian Zappa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has caused me umpteen hours of wasted effort due to crashing because of running out of memory. This has to be fixed.

• Robert Eby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're currently *still* on VS 2010 because this never happened.

We will never have a reason to upgrade until we have full native natural 100% support for ASP.NET applications on 64-bit including full debugging, test web server, syntax highlighting and Intellisense support. At this point we may as well stay on Windows Server 2008 R2 / VS 2010 forever since there isn't a single benefit to upgrading.

• Wesley Kenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and i'm not yet touching the "multi-threaded" requests yet to load the plugins properly. And I'm not even going to you IDE extensiblity with the ******* GUID codes still being used. HOW HARD IS IT TO cREATE A GUID TO HUMANLY READABLE FILE????

the same goes for all your 0x8015021 error messages. Yet another proof of your stupidy

• Wesley Kenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the entire world has been on 64 bit FOR YEARS ALREADY and your **** environment does not get switched. Even office is still "prefered" in ******* 32 bit mode. HELLOOOOO WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this proves once more that 99% of developers (and certainly thhe ones working at MS) are NOOT worthy of that title. You keep tellingg the world 'agile' and all that other ****, MAYBE IT'S TIME TO SET THE EXaMPLE FOR ONCE INSTEaD OF COMING WITH NEW ******* FEATURES NOBODY WANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Microsoft, it *IS* necessary to make VS 64 bit.

If you want to force your internal users to run a 32 bit version of the app so they can find all your memory leaks for you, that is your business. But the rest of the world is sick and tired of the severe constraints imposed by 32 bit memory management.

For me it only takes about two hours of working before VS gets up above the 1.5 GB range or so. And afterwards, the app starts thrashing, sputtering, dragging, hanging, and performance becomes totally craptacular. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Just try something basic like unloading and reloading a project after VS has been open for a while. It is extremely painful.

Even IDE's like Eclipse have been supporting 64 bit memory for many, many years. Software developers often have 20 GB of RAM, and don't feel the desire to restart VS every hour after it reaches 1-2 GB.

• romulspb76 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is time to make x64 bit version of Visual Studio.
        Reason is that there are not x32 components left, but designers still running in x32 bit and they are asking x32 components.

Also time to remove x32 as platform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base