I suggest you ...

Provide a pause option for the Visual Studio installer. This would help people with low bandwidth.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351460/provide-a-pause-option-for-the-visual-studio-insta.html

239 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Delali Michael Azumah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jerry Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stopping the installer thrashing the network would would be a good feature of this, but I would also like a proper pause/stop/resume installer function. I've had windows force an update restart (I couldn't cancel it) while completing a full install of VS in the past, it completely broke the installer. I reinstalled the entire operating system to fix the corrupted install. So either.. disable the stupid forced update restarts on windows.. or let you pause/stop/resume installers.

• Heitor Giacomini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

possibility to stop download and continue it later. My installation was 30GB it was hard to wait until completelly finished.

The game Blacklight Retribution use similar method do let users finish download more later.

Sorry for my bad english.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can include a pausing option when downloading the workloads from the vs installer so that download will be easy. Since the size of workloads is too huge it is difficult to download and need to wait for long hours.

Installations usually take quite long so it would be nice to be able to pause the installation

Hi, include a button to pause the download. So the next time i try to install, it get back to where it was!

• Sergey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF WE HAD HAVE A PAUSE BUTTON DURING THE VISUAL STUDIO INSTALLATION OR UPDATE). When you click update and wait about 5 hours it is very annoying.

• Mohamed Sameh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a pause button while installing visual studio 2017 for the first time on the computer? or it just completes from where it ended?

• Jani Marko Ilari Turunen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Helping users to pause install like they are have to move and disconnect from the Network so users can continue install in better Network like you start install in work or home and move to other Place in between the installing process

• Tavish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give that button to atleast pause the download if its take 6 hours to update from VS Community update 2 to update 3.
    First download everything and then install one by one. Is this so much to ask for. Have the microsoft guys lost some common sense as to how to build a update tool. No one has time to sit around and update VS for 6 to 12 hours. We have got a life to live to. So please think about it.

When installing visual studio. why have you not make a pause button. you can see this photo i attached.

Feedback and Knowledge Base