I suggest you ...

Please make ISO files for Visual Studio 2017

Creating our own offline layout installer by downloading multiple files instead of a single ISO is messy, and is a step backwards from Visual Studio 2015. The installer too, is really slow. Please provide ISO files for VS 2017 for convenient installation on multiple computers that have slow or no internet connection. Thank you.

2,176 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aravind Gopal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the many comments on this topic. We are listening…

On behalf of the Visual Studio team, I wanted to share a few responses to some of the questions and concerns raised, in the spirit of sharing with transparency the reasons that led us to the current installer options.

Visual Studio 2017 is a huge product, because we support so many types of development: from Android to UWP to C++ to Unity to Linux. If we were to still offer a ‘full’ install, it would come in at over 50GB. That’s one huge ISO image!

We surveyed hundreds of people during the previews and RCs, and people told us that they had historically used an ISO for two reasons: (i) because they wanted to download once and create a network install for enterprise deployment; (ii) because they had a shaky internet connection and wanted to be sure they’d downloaded successfully before installing. A single monolithic ISO isn’t the best solution for either of those scenarios – it’s just the one that people are habituated to over all these years.

For the former (enterprise deployment), we have a full administrators’ guide that provides detailed guidance on how to deploy the product in the parent topic to this. This includes examples of using the installer to create and update a network cache, descriptions of how to deploy Visual Studio in a fully offline environment, and so on. We also have PowerShell scripts on GitHub, for example: https://github.com/Microsoft/vssetup.powershell

For the latter, we’ve worked really hard to improve the robustness of the installer. The componentization work we’ve done means that the smallest install is one-tenth the size of Visual Studio 2015, making it far more likely to succeed. And other typical installs are smaller too. We download VS in small packages that are more likely to succeed, and we use multiple ways (WebClient, BITS, WinInet) to download those files to minimize problems with AV and proxy software.

Often people on low quality Internet connections are concerned about size. The commands above (and we’ll keep updating the guidance) are generally going to give you a smaller download than a generic ISO image. For example: C:\Users\tims\Downloads\vs_Community.exe —layout c:\usb_stick —add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetWeb —lang en-US generates a 1.7GB layout, downloaded efficiently using the techniques above and automatically validated against hashes for each single component. This compares to an ISO that was nearly 3x this size in Visual Studio 2015, where a single corruption would invalidate the entire package.

Because of the nature of our product (rapidly updating, lots of third-party components), an ISO is problematic. We don’t have the rights to redistribute several large components (including Android), and others update on a rapid cadence that often includes critical security fixes, meaning an ISO image is incomplete, often outdated, and potentially insecure. Most customers assume that an ISO would support offline installation, but that’s not true. And so we fear that offering an ISO will just creating more disappointment.

Lastly, we’re listening to the comments here, and paying attention to the feedback we’re getting. We can’t reply to every comment, but we do care about giving people a great experience with Visual Studio. We’re also watching the data from our CDNs and install logs where customers report problems to gather more aggregated information and every RC and preview release thus far was informed by that data also.

171 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • xte knagn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone ****** at MS for being a trainwreck tumbling to **** should really vote by ditching its products altogether and find saner alternatives!

I can't tell about other ecosystems, but C++-wise the time has finally come when it's viable to use just a good editor (sublime text, or whatever suits you) + llvm (clang-cl, lld-link etc) + clang-complete (a decent replacement for Intellisense!) + clang-format (the editor must have corresponding plugins, obviously). All you have to take from MS is the build tools (and that is merely for headers & stuff) - both the download and installation footprint are really nothing against the Visual Studzilla.

Of course it'll take some patience and manual work on your behalf, but getting off the hook of MS monopoly and freeing countless gigabytes on your HDD as a side effect is one heck of a motivation for going through this. The more people go this way, the more love will alternative tooling get (e.g. debuggers are still sorely lacking in terms of UX...)

As for build systems, there are many alternatives (CMake abomination sadly being the most popular), but one that definitely deserves more attention is QBS, a little-known language-agnostic gem from Qt that was recently baby-dumped by parents but can and hopefully will be adopted and raised by open source community (clang-cl support is missing at the moment, for one, but it's totally possible to add it by hand as a custom module).

So let's all cast a real vote, not a faux one like here on uservoice where they are listening as in "listening to traffic noise". Especially if you're not in a vendor lock yet.

• JCDrumKing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is maddening... The large company I work for requires us to develop behind a firewall with no internet access and we have to submit requests to have development packages brought in. With no .iso image, it makes obtaining bits even harder. We have to provide the instructions for how to create a full offline installation layout and they are less than pleased to do it. And now, after all the time it took to get an updated release, there is some problem with the offline installer and it's prompting to download a file from the internet and there's no way around it. Yes, we installed the certificates. WE NEED AN .ISO IMAGE TO MAKE THIS LESS ERROR PRONE! I've been carrying the Microsoft development torch for over 30 years now, but the ever increasing product heaviness, buggy installs and over-reliance on internet connectivity has really beaten me down.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not have access to the internet from Win 2012 servers. I had to create offline installer layout.
        My recent attempt to offline install VS 2017 via the layout resulted to errors due to the attempts to download the following files:
        https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/b8/6d/haxm-windows_v6_2_0.zip
        https://archive.apache.org/dist/ant/binaries/apache-ant-1.9.3-bin.zip
        https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.6/python-3.6.6-amd64.exe
        https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.6/amd64/core_pdb.msi

Please fix the VS2017 bootstraper vs_enterprise__1187618088.1541719693.exe to include the above files in the layout.

I am searching for the iso image but after reading ur reply I am shocked. Is really Microsoft trying to go forward? How do they even think about it? I have 60 desktops in my lab, how will I install vs2017 in the minimum time, download in 60 desktops separately or download one iso once and just copy 60 times? You could have released both iso and installer. Or you could have developed an iso builder system so that when a user wants to download, he will select what modules he wants to keep in the iso before downloading. Very poor thinking by you. You are concerned about the low-speed internet, but have you ever thought about the bandwidth, every time I reinstall windows, why I need to download the package again and again with the low-speed internet connection, can you please tell me? This is very bad. Sorry for my negative reviews, but you are absolutely in the wrong way.

I am searching for the iso image but after reading ur reply I am shocked. Is really Microsoft trying to go forward? How do they even think about it. I have 60 desktops in my lab, how will I install vs2017 in the minimum time, download in 60 desktops separately or download one iso once and just copy 60 times? You could have released both iso and installer. Or you could have developed an iso builder system so that when a user wants to download, he will select what modules he wants to keep in the iso before downloading. Very poor thinking by you. You are concerned about the low-speed internet, but have you ever thought about the bandwidth, every time I reinstall windows, why I need to download the package again and again with the low-speed internet connection, can you please tell me? This is very bad. Sorry for my negative reviews, but you are absolutely in the wrong way.

• BR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. A year and 1/2 later in September 2018 and no update from MS.

Simple solution, most VS developers use a small subset of VS. Post usage statistics on hte different features of VS. Provide an ISO with just the basics for VS. Provide a second ISO for the second tier of features.

And, importantly, remove features not used by more than 4% of the VS user base.

Look at the list of features added to VS from 2010 until 2017 and look at the features removed. For every removed feature, there are 10+ new features added.

A complex piece of software like VS cannot go in the direction of adding new features forever, eventually it will fall under its own weight.

My bank surely will pick fairly stodgy technologies to build systems in so that the large $ invested in the solution will last for 7+ years for financial record keeping requirements and for more years to pay itself off.

Stop thinking every developer goes from 3 month contract to contract where each project is written an then thrown away after 2 years.

Would you rather buy the cheapest car made, save a few $ today, and replace it in 3 years; or buy a moderately priced car with better reliability, drive it for 10 years and save lots more $ over its lifespan?

Why is it so difficult to have the same lines of reasoning when it comes to software development platform and what to use to develop a long lived business solution?

Making the VS toolset run from a USB drive would go a long way towards fixing this so that the installation is essentially Xcopy instead of the hundereds of registry entries, com objects (yuck should died long ago when Corba died), add/remove programs entries, etc.

Suggestion:
        1. VS install should look for a local directory first
        2. If tool is not found in local directory, ask do you want to get it from MS web site, and if yes then download the tool to the local directory
        3. Let users copy the entire local directory to get an installation image for their environment

My customer contracts require softrware escrow where I have to give the source code, the tools needed to build it to an escrow company so that my customers can get and maintain the system should I go out of business.

The escrow is standard busines practice for large enterprise customers.

• Gert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much Problems without ISO!!!!!!
        Our company is offline since two days. So we used that time to reinstall some server and clients. All other installer and updates can be installed via offline installer downloaded at private home.

"Just ghve the people what they want already. I don't care if the ISO was 1TB even. I just want an ISO with everything in it." !!!!!!

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is Microsoft technology in such a state of regression? It's crazy to consider that Microsoft solutions from 1998 (installers, instant messaging, office, etc. etc.) are far superior to what they are publishing in 2018...

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone have an ISO on google sites or mega? Not that I trust it really, but it would be better than nothing.

• Juan Carlos Ruiz Pacheco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is:; not al of us live in US. In LATAM and other regions You can download an ISO at 10-30 MB/seg thats great, but for some reason nobody understand the VS web installer download speed is about 100 kb...

• Yves M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working for a Bank with very restrictive policies. The current setup is not working for us at all. Currently we are thinking of switching completely to visual studio code. VS2017 is slower and nearly impossible to install. Great work.

• Leslie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that Visual Studio has many options but I come from a time when we had to swap multiple 5.25 diskettes to get software installed.

So perhaps you can change things around so that the core functionality and common install options are in one ISO file and then optional extras are in another.

Right now, I expect better from a software company delivering Development software to Developers. Lift your game.

Just ghve the people what they want already. I don't care if the ISO was 1TB even. I just want an ISO with everything in it.

• rahbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My group is stuck with VS2015 because of long standing polices that require local admin
        (users with a "dev token" ) to not have network access while elevated. Why not provide a
        separate exe users can run to create a layout? They could take the bootstrapper and strip out the installation functionality such that it accesses only the folder receiving the layout files.

this has more than 2000 votes now comparing with your "hundreds", may be listen to us more rather than those hundreds?

• jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree... we need an ISO for those servers that are not accessing the internet on purpose... it may be fine on a user pc but not for servers that are tied down.

• Mark Phelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, so you (MS) are resistant to an ISO... but why not make life a little easier for us Enterprise Admins who have to deploy this to thousands (yes thousands) of target devices with no Internet connection..

Pop the installer, configure what you want, click "Build MSI"... Downloads just what we ask for and wraps the whole lot, Workloads, Selected Optional Components etc in an MSI we can then deploy through tools like ConfigManager..

I love when things get MORE and MORE complicated and convoluted, as opposed to EASIER. I hate this convoluted download mess. Give me an ISO.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base