I suggest you ...

Show current downloaded size and total downloaded size of individual components in VS installer

It would be helpful how much data being downloaded and how much is remaining within VS installer. This would allow to know how much further time installer would take and improve installer experience vastly.

155 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Cr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like it is done with latest preview installer, it is very useful and great feature to have.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Estimated download size - completed/remaining and Estimated time would require for completion would be helpful for smooth installation. This metric should be continuously updated.

• Oron Feinerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if the numbers aren't shown, right now a single package can make the progress jump by 40% after it hasn't moved for an hour (on slow connections) so just updating the total progress percentage while downloading individual components will already help a lot

• Alex Essilfie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'll be great if this feature is added. Usually, I have to check a component, uncheck it and then compare the difference in total size to get an estimate of how much space is being consumed.

• Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking very similar to the OP. But my request is subtly different. I want to see how much disk space each individual component is consuming. The VS 2017 Install program shows the total "Installed Size" but I would like that same meta-data at the individual component level as well. The "green checkmarks" tell me it's installed. Now show me how much space that component uses. That's all folks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base