I suggest you ...

Include Visual Basic 6.0 by default on the next version of Windows !

Please include Visual Basic 6.0 by default on the next version of Windows !

225 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB 6.0VB 6.0 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programmingMicrosoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May 2107 Tiobe Index
        ==================

In the May 2017 Tiobe.com survey...

Visual Basic has climbed to .... 2.347% and is now at position #12

C# has fallen to .......................3.457% and is now at position #5

VB.Net climbed to ...................3.391% and is now at position #6

Whatever Microsoft try, VB6 continues, while C# declines.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index//

• Lofaday - www VB64 com - A new IDE is on its wayLofaday - www VB64 com - A new IDE is on its way commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Codist & Anon, thank you for those replies. First of all, that PowerShell IDE certainly looks very comprehensive. Interesting how the latest trend seems to be going retro -- towards white on black. Noting that it says Code Colourisation, does that mean it doesn't do tight syntax checking like instantly identifying wrongly declared variables or basic syntax errors? Your point on the GUI is well noted!

@Anonymous commerce thanks for those points too. I'm quite familiar with both. Notepad++ certainly only does code colourisation and makes no attempt at declaration checks etc. VBSEdit is much better but I've hardly used it. Although it is better integrated, it still seems to lack instantaneous declaration/syntax checks(?). NSB seems to be gaining ground. I started watching a year ago. I've never played with it, but it does look like it's going places.

I totally agree with your point about it being usable -- my single highest priority, but also: no-limitations! Jobaco, now regarded as dead, was at first that breath of fresh air. Within minutes I had a form with a timer and buttons achieving real world requirements. That's why everybody at first leapt at it, but sadly it lost its way. Cheers

• paulpaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Windows ME, the best windows ever.

You inadvertently make an excellent point.
        We have all heard the news that Microsoft are to put full desktop Windows 10 on ARM processors (for laptops, tablets and maybe phones). So ARM will be able to support VB6 applications and the VB6 programming IDE.

So now would be the time to bring back an updated version of Windows 9x (not ME but Windows 98 would be fine) to run on small IoT devices (Raspberry Pi and similar). These would run VB6 with its low RAM and CPU requirements, where .Net and other languages would struggle.
        Everything Microsoft have tried so far for IoT has failed because it has been too bloated for low-cost IoT boards.

At last Microsoft could have a product for these devices, something they haven't really had since Windows CE and Windows Mobile 6.x

Good suggestion @Windows ME.

• Update VB6 programmingUpdate VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Lofaday

>> It would be very interesting to know what kind of IDE you use and if a better, tight syntax checking & debugger IDE one would help.

I use Notepad++, or VBSEdit for more complex requirements. VBSEdit has plenty of samples included. http://www.vbsedit.com/

I also use the VBA editor in Office, mainly for Excel VBA programming.

I like the VBSEdit IDE., simple and straightforward.

For other (mainly non-work related) projects I have just started using the NSBasic IDE www.nsbasic.com
        This lets you code in either (a variant of) VBScript or JavaScript to create mobile and web apps. A really nice IDE.

For me the biggest single feature in an IDE is that you should be able to use it immediately even though you may have not touched it for months. It should be simple and intuitive.

• Update VB6 programmingUpdate VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Windows ME, the best windows ever.

But Windows ME isn't as good as Windows Vista. And Windows 8 is better than both of them. Time for you to stop fantasizing about Windows ME and move to Windows 8.0, it is the best version of Windows ever. You'll love it.

>>@Microsoft please bring back an improved version of windows ME, and continue the development from where you have stopped.
        >>Of course VB6 should be included by default in next Windows ME successor.

Windows 8 is that improved version of Windows ME ! Microsoft's best ever !
        And VB6 programming is supported on all versions of Windows from Windows 95 to Windows 10 ! https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

>> There are so many VB6 developers that in no time you will have more applications than there currently available in Google Play Store.
        There are more versions of Windows than there are applications in the Microsoft Store.

• The CodistThe Codist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous,

At my company a lack of PS skills means you're relegated to low level help desk jobs. You will not get hired for an admin position. My wife's company is the same. Check the job listings and note how many expect PS knowledge. Look at all the courses and books on the subject. They wouldn't exist if there was no demand for them. Ask yourself why that demand exists.

BTW, our admin showed me something interesting about the newer Microsoft GUI management tools. Behind the scenes they're executing PS commands. Microsoft means it when they say learn PowerShell or learn to say "Do you want fries with that?".

@Lofaday, there's already an IDE for PS. It's called PowerShell Studio:

https://www.sapien.com/software/powershell_studio

The admins here use it. It costs about $400 and they swear it's worth every penny. They pretty much own the market for PS IDEs. Maybe you should make something like Qt Creator but for PS. A tool to make PS GUI creation easy. If it was priced right you could sell a lot of copies.

• Windows ME, the best windows ever.Windows ME, the best windows ever. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has failed the goal of one billion windows 10 devices, windows is collapsing.
        Lots of users are migrating Android/Chrome OS or to MAC OS/iOS.
        Windows 10 and all NT based windows are faults.
        Now is the time to turn back golden era of classic windows (95, 98, ME).
        @Microsoft please bring back an improved version of windows ME, and continue the development from where you have stopped.
        Of course VB6 should be included by default in next Windows ME successor.
        There are so many VB6 developers that in no time you will have more applications than there currently available in Google Play Store.

• Lofaday - www VB64 com - A new IDE is on its wayLofaday - www VB64 com - A new IDE is on its way commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Anonymous, as you might have spotted further below, I'm developing an advanced IDE for VBScript etc.

It would be very interesting to know what kind of IDE you use and if a better, tight syntax checking & debugger IDE one would help.

Also, what scripting requirements do you have? Eg: networking? drive maintenance & housekeeping? software/update rollout? Any script sample websites you'd recommend?

Finally, would a simple form builder for a visual user interface be useful?

Ps: I have much the same queries for The Codist as I would like to target PS later in the road map.

And yet you still tell us that VBScript programming is "dead as in nobody uses it anymore for Windows admin work. Which is true. Just talk to any admin."

That may be what Microsoft would like to be the case, but it is far from true.

PowerShell solves a problem that no one actually has.

I work for a Fortune 100 company but it's not Microsoft.

As to the linked article:

#1 While you should leave working VBS scripts alone the author says you should write new scripts in PS. So that's hardly a reason to prefer VBS.

#2 and #3 If you're running unsupported versions of Windows you have more problems than just the lack of PS.

#4 I asked the admin if VBS was faster than PS. "Not on anything made in the last several years" was the reply.

#5 This is an edge case. Even the author says so.

Did you read the article or just look at the title? Maybe you should work on updating your skills instead of looking for excuses not to.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base