I suggest you ...

Reinstate VB5cce (VB5 Control Creation Edition) free download and support

As subject. Until 6 days ago, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/165524 had a useful description and endorsement of VB5cce which used to be available for free. Myself and my clients use VB5cce. The article was since unceremoniously deleted (no mention of why, simply a broken link).

Please Reinstate it and confirm it is free. Thank you.

It is known we can download it from elsewhere, but my users treated this article as an endorsement that it was free to use and supplied by Microsoft. It worked perfectly on Windows 10 64b etc, so I can't see why MS chose to delete all reference to it. It remains an essential tool for creating and maintaining plug-ins on websites etc. Could someone in Microsoft also explain why it was removed? (It is tempting to think that the deletion was a further attempt at alienating and sidelining the VB5 and VB6 community for reasons that can't even be guessed at*).

Googling "VB5cce microsoft" shows right at the top "Visual Basic Control Creation Edition - MSDN - Microsoft" at msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/cce/default.asp -- in other words, it is still in googles search cache (but no page cache).

A PDF snapshot is attached. Although I hesitate to share incase you delete this too, it is archived at http://archive.is/GFOyo -- if anyone wants more info, please contact me.

One highlight from the deleted text:

14. *Q. Can I distribute the controls that I create, royalty-free?* A. Yes. Any controls that you create from scratch or any of the intrinsic controls included with the Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition may be distributed royalty-free. You may be able to distribute other ActiveX controls, .exe files, and .DLLs that you have purchased, either through Microsoft products or though a third party vendor. Please consult the manufacturer's license agreement for each of files you plan to distribute to determine whether you have the right to distribute the file with your application.

*I make the alienation point above given that VB6 was withdrawn [VB.Net is not a successor] and VB6 users years of skill lost because Microsoft refuses to make it available except as an expensive subscription to MSDN (licence use for development unknown).

Might I respectfully ask VB.Net users to refrain from denigration -- this is a VB5/VB6 question, and we are not trying to compare. :-)

127 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lofaday - www VB64 com - A new IDE is on its wayLofaday - www VB64 com - A new IDE is on its way shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...