I suggest you ...

Fix "Find All References" in C++

For a large codebase, the "Find All References" results can include hundreds of irrelevant results. This happens to me nearly every time I use it, such that I must carefully scroll past hundreds of bogus results so that I can see the actual call sites for a particular function. This is extremely frustrating on a daily, if not hourly basis. The silly part is that each result has an icon next to it, and a particular icon reliably marks the relevant results; so it should be trivial for VS to enable the user to filter out the other results that do not have that icon.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Visual Studio 2017 we have revamped the Find All References UI to allow filtering and grouping based on any columns including the reference “status”. In addition to that, the default filter for C++ operations does not include “not yet confirmed references” anymore, so you will only see the confirmed references showing up as they get resolved. To learn more: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/11/16/find-all-references-re-designed-for-larger-searches/

We didn’t stop there and have made significant performance improvements such that the confirmed references show up much faster (actually 4.7X times faster). See more details here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/10/11/productivity-structure-visualizer-ctrl-click-to-go-to-definition/

Thank you for your suggestion. We’re marking this suggestion as complete and returning your votes. Please put them to good use again!

— Visual C++ Team

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)