I suggest you ...

Improve the Structure Visualizer in Visual Studio 2017

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351495/improve-the-structure-visualizer-in-visual-studio.html
In Visual Studio 2017, some parts of the Structure Visualizer from the Productivity Power Tools were added to Visual Studio.

Others were not included in the port.

This UserVoice item is intended to gauge broader feedback for the following capabilities which we've heard about from some users. If voting for this item, please feel free to give a priority on the following in your comments (as well as any other comments you may have):

1. Different in editor line colors per “block level” (i.e. colors indicate how deep you are only)
2. Different in editor line colors per semantic unit kind (loops are different from if branches are different from method body for instance)
3. Option to have solid lines instead of dotted
4. Structure depth visualization in the map mode scrollbar

Thanks!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

393 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark Wilson-Thomas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#4 is the one I missed immediately. The rest probably is ranked #1, #2 and #3 to me.

• JN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why I should have to spend my Sunday doing this is beyond me; but you're fucĸing welcome.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AngryJonathan.PowerToolsStructureVisualizerFrom2017

This covers #4.

#1, #2 & #3 Could be turned on in the source code and recompiled. But I'm not interested in those. If you are, you can find the code at: https://github.com/FS-NulL/VS-PPT

May I offer my sincerest fucĸ you to Microsoft for not bothering to do this. We've waited for about 400 days for this to never happen. For the past 400 days, I've been editing code in 2015 and compiling it in 2017.

And on a personal note to Mark WIlson-Thomas, for making us think Microsoft might have possibly considered re adding this, go sucĸ a dicĸ.

#4 is most important to me.

Our teams just recently switched from VS2015 to 2017 (Enterprise), and this is the most prominent missing feature.

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark any update on this? Its been over a year.
        We have just updated to VS2017, and its disappointing to see PPT features deprecated in favour of a builtin implementation that has only 10% of the functionality.

The bare minimum that should be available (either in VS, or added on via PPT) should be what PPT 2015 offered, that is:
        #4 (critical for productivity when working with 1k+ line CPP files)
        #2 (colour by semantic unit is far more useful than by depth, depth is shown by tabstops!)
        #3 (it was solid in PPT so why would you change it on a whim to dashes without leaving solid as an option?)

• Michael Ketting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgrades to VS2017 and was shocked that #4 is no missing from Productivity Power Tools. Getting strucutre Information in the map mode was essential to me when navigating source code.

#4 is essential for me! It helps tremendously to navigate in large source files.

• Yolanda B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please prioritize items #3, #1, #2, #4 for the Structure Visualizer in VS2017. I have grown accustomed to the colorized and solid structure guide lines that were once available in the Productivity Power Tools extensions pack.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As you have no problem not implementing this (We've been waiting all year). Why not open source the 2015 PPT extension, and let us do it for you?

• Mark Wilson-Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Stephen: thanks for your comments. I wanted to let you know that although we don't have #1,#2 yet, you can customize the (default grey dotted) lines to a different color to help them stand out more, in Tools-Options-Fonts & Colors-Text Editor (Display Item is "Structure Guide Lines"). Pick an item background of your choice and press OK. Hope that helps a little.

@Peter, thanks for the input on increasing the number of supported languages - this is being actively considered.

Thanks
        Mark

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please prioritize #1 and #2. #3 and #4 would be nice-to-have, but don't "break" what was in 2015. I use a 2 space tabbing, and found that the dashed lines are very hard to distinguish and follow, which is what brought me here.

Thanks,
        Stephen

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#2 and #3 !!!

and please for ALL supported language types in VS !!!
        (aspx, aspx.cs, ascx, ascx.cs, cshtml, ...)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base