I suggest you ...

Reduce the number of updates, weekly updates are far too often

Weekly or near weekly updates that require restarting every instance of visual studio is very disruptive to those of us that keep multiple solutions open. Minor updates aren't so bad, especially those that don't require restart but we've seen at least 3 or 4 updates that require closing all instances and keeping them closed for 10+ minutes while the installer applies an update - that's far too excessive

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Terry Moreland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. That is a real PROBLEM! And the updates are not that small: in last few weeks they are about 0,5-1 GB in size. When I installed fresh Windows 10 with VS there was about 1 milion files (including those in ZIPs, CABs, etc) on my laptop and a full antivirus scan took about 40 MINUTES. Now there is about 8 milions of files (most - if not all - of them installed as VS update) and the full scan takes about 5 HOURS). Agree with others that it looks like insufficient quality of the development process. For this moment I have just stopped updating.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Production is shut down while the update is done, some of which seem to take forever. Shut down time is wasted time and money. Costly. It is irritating when I see the update flag a day after the last one. It strikes me as unprofessional and idiotic to boot. And the updates are very small as well. I suggest you do updates that address a larger number of issues. Updates should also be of a high enough quality that people don't immediately discover bugs in them, so another update is done a day later.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. Nearly every week I have to do restart-required updates. Very disrupted and irritating.

Feedback and Knowledge Base