I suggest you ...

Stop stealing focus when a breakpoint trips.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351514/stop-stealing-focus-when-a-breakpoint-trips.html
Just blink the icon on the app bar when VS trips a breakpoint and VS isn't the app with focus. Don't just take focus and start processing the keyboard events meant for the app I am in at the time. Don't checkout the source file. Don't start intellisense. Don't start edit&continue debug. I'll get to VS when I see the blinking icon in the app bar in my own good time. How hard can this be? Other apps do it. And VS does it too when I am debugging two communicating applications. Step over a call in one instance of VS that triggers a call in another app I am debugging and have a breakpoint set in the called code and the other instance of VS blinks to let me know the breakpoint there has been tripped.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
R.D. Holland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've lost count of the times I've trash my build because I was multi tasking and VS studio stole the focus and then I was typing in my code instead of my skype or email. Totally unacceptable!

Does MS really think this is good design?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just disabling stealing focus for the entire OS! I'd be willing to pay something for that! Is it ever OK to interrupt what I'm working on? NO!

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request pops up for years now and is continously ignored by Microsoft.

I myself use the feedback button in Visual Studio to regularly complain about this problem.
    It seems they don't want to address such fundamental problems.
    Maybe we should combine the request somehow with the possibility to collect more "analytics data"? I bet they will fix this yesterday if there is some data to collect. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base