I suggest you ...

Add better color options for colorblind people.

It's not the background or foreground text that gives me trouble, it's the little squiggles that show an error or a warning under text. Someone told me these are different colors, and I can't tell if something is an error or a warning. I looked in the settings and didn't see anything to change them.

Example;
int number; (this will have squiggles under it)

The variable 'number' is declared but never used.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm new to VS Studio but I too, am colorblind. So far I am digging the Kimbie Dark theme. It highlights what line you are on (and it's a very big contrast), the colors in the terminal are drastically different from each other and the explorer section looks good enough for me.

I will say the cursor line that flashes looks like the exact same color as the code so that's my only (mild) complaint. I say give this one a shot guys and gals.

• Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IntelliJ has an option for color blind people using a dark theme. Why does Visual Studio still not offer this for a dark theme?!? Just because I am color blind does not mean I want to deal with eye fatigue from looking at a light theme all day. Seriously, 8% of males are colorblind of some sort, its not like we are asking for something that few people will use! Please Microsoft, please, please please, we're begging (or at least I am), make this happen.

@Mitch, if you do make one I will buy you a beer if I ever meet you!

• Mitch Muenster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Jamie have you tired the Blue - High contrast theme released with VS2017 update 3?

you can find it within Visual studio by going to Tools > Options

Once that window is open, you should be in the section marked "General" under Environment. On the right hand side, there should be a drop down with the current theme selected. in that drop down is the the theme i am talking about

@Doug Vergari I was thinking about making an extension to make a dark theme with Color Blind friendly colors and working on a Pull request for VS4M with a color blind friendly dark mode. would you be interested in knowing when / if that gets put out?

• Doug Vergari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe webstorm has this option. It would be nice to have dark theme with color blind friendly colors.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ironically I'm using this code to draw red and green circles to represent X and Y, the two colors I cannot see.

Feedback and Knowledge Base