I suggest you ...

Add better color options for colorblind people.

It's not the background or foreground text that gives me trouble, it's the little squiggles that show an error or a warning under text. Someone told me these are different colors, and I can't tell if something is an error or a warning. I looked in the settings and didn't see anything to change them.

Example;
int number; (this will have squiggles under it)

The variable 'number' is declared but never used.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jamie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm new to VS Studio but I too, am colorblind. So far I am digging the Kimbie Dark theme. It highlights what line you are on (and it's a very big contrast), the colors in the terminal are drastically different from each other and the explorer section looks good enough for me.

I will say the cursor line that flashes looks like the exact same color as the code so that's my only (mild) complaint. I say give this one a shot guys and gals.

• Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IntelliJ has an option for color blind people using a dark theme. Why does Visual Studio still not offer this for a dark theme?!? Just because I am color blind does not mean I want to deal with eye fatigue from looking at a light theme all day. Seriously, 8% of males are colorblind of some sort, its not like we are asking for something that few people will use! Please Microsoft, please, please please, we're begging (or at least I am), make this happen.

@Mitch, if you do make one I will buy you a beer if I ever meet you!

• Mitch Muenster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Jamie have you tired the Blue - High contrast theme released with VS2017 update 3?

you can find it within Visual studio by going to Tools > Options

Once that window is open, you should be in the section marked "General" under Environment. On the right hand side, there should be a drop down with the current theme selected. in that drop down is the the theme i am talking about

@Doug Vergari I was thinking about making an extension to make a dark theme with Color Blind friendly colors and working on a Pull request for VS4M with a color blind friendly dark mode. would you be interested in knowing when / if that gets put out?

• Doug Vergari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe webstorm has this option. It would be nice to have dark theme with color blind friendly colors.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ironically I'm using this code to draw red and green circles to represent X and Y, the two colors I cannot see.

Feedback and Knowledge Base