I suggest you ...

Allow VS2017 installer to download files for offline installation without admin rights

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351534/allow-vs2017-installer-to-download-files-for-offli.html
In many enterprise installations, developers have two accounts. A "normal" one to work, not having admin rights, and another one for installations with admin rights, but without permission for internet access.

The current installer does not allow to download files for later installations using -layout without admin rights / UAC elevations. In setups as described above, VS21017 can not be installed without downloading the offline files on a "out of enterprise" PC.
This approach seems disconnected from Enterprise reality. As a consultant,I have seen several developers downloading at home to install at work, violating IT policies.

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rahbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work on a secured Network and cannot run the VS2017 bootstrapper without elevation. If some who does have admin on my machine runs it they have no network access. So, its impossible to deploy VS2017 within my org policies. MS needs to rethink their deployment strategy.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The point is not about the installation behaviour.
    It is related to download operations that do not requires any admin elevations for gettings files from the web.
    As said in the suggestion above, admin accounts usually do not have access to the web, but users' ones do have.

Thus, to enable developers that work on secured network/policies (admin/user account split), admin elevation shall be required only when "really" needed (installation purpose, not offline installation download).

It is a must have in enterprise scenario.

• King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two windows 10 Pro workstations. The windows app installer appears to work differently on the two machines. One gives a protective warning display option and allow you to install untrusted apps. But the other will not allow the user to install the untrusted apps at all. It virtually says: the admin is blocking risky installs. Searching the web, a workaround via of the build-in administrator (temporarily sign in with command prompt: "net user administrator /active:yes") and then install the app is a remedy. As an admin, is this workaround really necessary?

I glance though the group policy editor files and both systems contains not configured entries.
    Both my machines are up to date, so why are the installers are differenced?

King

Feedback and Knowledge Base