I suggest you ...

VS2017 installer auto-update

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351539/vs2017-installer-auto-update.html
I can't think of the use case for making the user click on OK to update the installer itself. I wouldn't have launched it if I didn't want to install or update VS. Why not auto-update the installer? Or at least provide an option to have the installer auto-update for subsequent installs.

88 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steve Owens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Clive Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it's odd that there's an updater that needs updating before one can update VS. And that the Updater requires so many updates itself. Updating VS should be one-click.

• Lee Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My main issue is that I need to click multiple times to get the end result. These clicks are many minutes apart and requires VS to be closed. So this cant be an unattended upgrade as once the installer is updated, i then need to click to actually update VS. I cant do this in the background as it requires VS to be closed. I really like the cadence at which releases are coming out, but unimpressed with the obstructive upgrade process, especially considering these are minor or patch releases

• Matt Frear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, it seems stupid to update the updater every time you need to install an update. I came here to suggest the same thing.

• Chaim Lando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the whole update should be different. Why not just update from microsoft update?

Feedback and Knowledge Base