I suggest you ...

Expose JavaScript project system as a separate install component for Visual Studio 2017

We are a big component vendor developing an extension for Visual Studio, which provides a custom JavaScript project type based on CPS. The problem we are facing is during the installation of the VSIX. We cannot find the install component for the JavaScript project system. The Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.JavaScript.TypeScript component installs the TypeScript targets and XAML rules only, but not the JavaScript ones. After some digging, we have found that the JavaScript project system can be installed with the following workloads: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.Node and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.WebCrossPlat. We would rather avoid installing an entire workload as a prerequisite to our custom extension just to get the JavaScript rules and targets. Exposing the JavaScript project system as a separate installable component would benefit us greatly, reducing the install footprint of our extension by a big margin.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ivan Todorov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This looks like it was done as of VS2017 15.3. Under the Individual Components Tab. Development Activities Section. JavaScript ProjectSystem and Shared Tooling I am Not using a free or low level version of VS2017 when I see this option. Of Note - I have almost all workloads selected and this JavaScript ProjectSystem and Shared Tooling Option is Not Checked. When I see things Not Checked I often find out that the component was moved into the core product and the actual thing (JavaScript ProjectSystem) is not actually required anymore as an add on and that is why it is not checked. Just some background I noticed. - Aloha.

Feedback and Knowledge Base