I suggest you ...

Add filter for Application Insights debug events in output window

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351540/add-filter-for-application-insights-debug-events-i.html
Application Insights can log a huge amount of debug events to the output window if your running in debug.
While this might be useful sometimes, I mostly think it clutters up the output window, and "hides" debug events of interests.

I can disable the debug logging from Application insights, by using the following configuration:
TelemetryDebugWriter.IsTracingDisabled = true;

This stops logging of the events to the output window, but it also prevents Visual Studio from collecting any Application Insights telemetry!

It would be nice, if it was possible to just filter out the Application Insights events from the output window.

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeppe D. Jensen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Antti Tuppurainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the regex filter field suggestion. It would be very broadly useful also for other output scenarios like filtering verbose build output etc.

• Andreas Hassmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. A valued service meant to help understanding the application does the opposite and obfuscates what's going on by spamming our output.

• Casey Boyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a regex filter field to the debug window would give us all a flexible way to filter to our heart's desire

• Ryan Taite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to bump this thread.

I would love to be able to right click on the Output window and simply filter out the Application Insight messages, or move them to a new tab entirely. Anything to clean up the debug output.

I'll have one or two lines of debug text that gets send to output and I have to sift though hundreds of lines of App Insight text just to find it, even if it happened moments ago.

• James Comstock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very big problem. Please add a new App Insights output channel for the application insights data. I can tell you that this "feature" makes the output window for debug absolutely worthless for me, as the largish solution I am working with generates around 5 AI events per second, and all of the debug comments etc, are lost in the sea of useless events. If it was in it's own channel, rather than using the debug channel, it would be still available for me to use without filtering but would not interfere with standard debugging.
    And to address the suggestion that I use "TelemetryDebugWriter.IsTracingDisabled = true;" This is solution with many projects and services. Setting this is a waste of developer energy which translates to a lot of money when multiplied across many devs for an missing feature that should have been added in the first place. Resharper managed to put its events in a separate channel, surely the App Insights team can as well.
    Please add this functionality as soon as reasonably possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base