I suggest you ...

introduce the Ribbon UI in Visual Studio

I would like Visual Studio to adopt an ribbon UI approach , similar to how Microsoft Office is designed.

As it stands now , Visual Studio 2017 is very advanced and powerful. However , this has the disadvantage of being unnecessarily complicated and cluttered to users who may be looking for a particular function. (Yes , there is the really useful Quick Launch , but more often than not , one discovers a new and useful function through the Ribbon). Additionally , it often puts new users off from using it , as they find it too complicated. The adoption of the Ribbon will surely make this easier , as it does with Office.

Furthermore , while the Ribbon may take away a bit more space than usual during normal usage , it makes up during debugging. I find it difficult to access debugging features through the tool bar , often because it is highly cluttered. This problem becomes especially acute for users running Hi-DPI displays or on bigger sized screens

That being said , I do not advocate the complete replacement of the menu like was done in Office 2007 , because it will annoy skilled developers and then potentially introduce other issues like add-ins.

The ribbon and the menu should both be part of Visual Studio , with users given an option to choose one of them.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Leaderboard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon