I suggest you ...

introduce the Ribbon UI in Visual Studio

I would like Visual Studio to adopt an ribbon UI approach , similar to how Microsoft Office is designed.

As it stands now , Visual Studio 2017 is very advanced and powerful. However , this has the disadvantage of being unnecessarily complicated and cluttered to users who may be looking for a particular function. (Yes , there is the really useful Quick Launch , but more often than not , one discovers a new and useful function through the Ribbon). Additionally , it often puts new users off from using it , as they find it too complicated. The adoption of the Ribbon will surely make this easier , as it does with Office.

Furthermore , while the Ribbon may take away a bit more space than usual during normal usage , it makes up during debugging. I find it difficult to access debugging features through the tool bar , often because it is highly cluttered. This problem becomes especially acute for users running Hi-DPI displays or on bigger sized screens

That being said , I do not advocate the complete replacement of the menu like was done in Office 2007 , because it will annoy skilled developers and then potentially introduce other issues like add-ins.

The ribbon and the menu should both be part of Visual Studio , with users given an option to choose one of them.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Leaderboard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base