I suggest you ...

Improve WPF Editor performance

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351170/improve-wpf-editor-performance.html
Improve Visual Studio WPF Editor performance. With Visual Studio 2010 it is very good, but also a bit slow.

1,374 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    N. Z. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The performance of the WPF Editor in VS2015 is much worse than the one in VS2013. We experience this performance change in our larger VS solutions (WPF Applications).

At the moment this prevents us to use VS2015.

• Joberto Diniz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main problem I'm facing is that when I open like 3 xaml editors, 3 process of Xaml UI Designer are started, but when I close the 3 tabs, the process are not ended, they are still there, consuming a lot of memory!

• Mira Hedl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Maximilian Very true. It indeed does not make any sence to have twro different designers/editors.

You'll be pleased that in Visual Studio 11 it'll be exactly like that. "VS Designer" will be replaced with Blend one.

• Maximilian Haru Raditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Peter:
        I personally find out that Blend XAML designer/editor is much more *responsive* (yes, it means performance) and better than VS XAML designer/editor. So I think it's better to replace VS one (and deprecate it) with Blend one and thus incorporate all benefits found in Blend.

It doesn't seem making any sense for me given the fact that MS create two different XAML designers/editors. They said they have finite resources, but it seems they are wasting resouces on this one. It's better to create just one for both of them and combines both best features: a hybrid XAML designer/editor.

• AdminDoug Turnure - msft (Program Manager - Visual Studio, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey folks, you may have noticed, but based on all the feedback about improving performance, we have opened a UserVoice forum (look in the right-hand pane for Visual Studio Performance) to let folks vote on what areas they would like to see improved. This is very helpful to us, since performance is such a broad topic. Take a look and cast your votes, to help us prioritize areas that matter the most to you.

thanks!
        Doug Turnure - Visual Studio PM

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joanna Mason, it seems you misunderstood this entirely. This idea does NOT say "Incorporate Blend features". It says "Improve WPF Editor performance"

• Joanna Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback on wanting Blend features incorporated into Visual Studio. This is something we have heard from many customers and we're considering it, stay tuned!

Joanna Mason
        Expression Blend PM

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Winston - totally agree. In my dev shop, the developer is the designer, so having two products makes no sense. Include the Blend design features with VS, or make Blend available with the MSDN Pro subscription.

• keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also fix the issues with blend being able to display the view while vs2010 cant due to exceptions and vice versa.

• Winston Pang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second that, why not merge the blend editor into VS, have one unified editor, not different ones on two products.

Feedback and Knowledge Base