I suggest you ...

Integrate Reporting Services Projects into Visual Studio 2010

Currently you have to open Reporting Services Projects in VS 2008 or Business Intelligence Developer Studio (BIDS). So you have to use both VS 2010 and VS 2008 with TFS.

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish SQL Management Studio had much better IDE and Editor features.
    It should have all the basic features VS2012 has.
    It should also have features specific to SQL.
    Here are some examples that could be improved.
    1) Right click Solution Explorer -> Open Folder in Windows Explorer
    2) Right click Solution Explorer -> Add Existing Files
    3) Quick Find in Editor just like VS2012
    4) Filter Files just like Solution Explorer
    5) Colored Feedback to Indicate Environment/Database Connection - Red Tabs for Production, Green Tabs for Dev, Yellow Tabs for QA, Blue Tabs for UAT, etc.
    6) This feature is in Notepad++. If you highlight a word within the editor, then all the other exact same words within the same file are highlighted as well. Great for debugging or learning someone else's code by seeing how many times a table is used in a file. Good to have option to ignore SQL keywords such as SELECT, FROM, etc.

Please redesign SSRS BIDS to be like the new Visual Studio 2012 data tools. No dialog boxes. We need a real editor for expressions and sql queries. There are too many hidden things when designing a report. Please make the designers be updated out of band so that we can get better designers more frequently. The designer has evolved very slowly.

Visual Studio 2010/2012 should be able to handle SSRS reports from every major versions of Reporting Services 2005/2008/2012. Why can't you have different designers for different RDLs versions? It's very hard to work with older or newer versions of SSRS for multiple customers. I would love to upgrade to VS2012 and SQL2012 but we are afraid to upgrade because we are afraid we won't be able to work with our customers on older versions of SSRS RDLs. Can you guys take a step back and look at the entire report design lifecycle across multiple versions of SQL Server and Visual Studio? What happens when the next versions come out again?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Carl. We have SQL 2005, SQL 2008 and our main IDE for all development is VS 2010. We modify develop, test and build SQL schemas and databases in VS 2010 using the database project templates yet we have to revert to using the old BI tools for reports, cube and SSIS. It seems like a huge oversight to miss providing BI tools in VS2010. Especially when Microsoft seems to be pushing developers into Visual Studio for SQL development and out of SQL Management Studio.

• Carl Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, this is something that the SQL Server team has to do, not the Visual Studio team. Yes, it's a huge PITB - every new release of SQL server comes with a new, incompatible set of BI development tools, requiring developers that use the MSFT BI stack in products to maintain (currently) 3 separate toolchains to do BI dev work. SQL Server Denali will, I believe, include designers hosted in VS2010, but I'm not optimistic that it will have good (or any) backwards compatibility with SQL 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2.

• ChrisTorng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And I hope that I can use one (new) version of VS to open all version of Reporting Services Projects. Just like VS supports multiple .NET Framework versions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base