I suggest you ...

Install and update extensions without need to restart VS

It can save time, especially when you have big project. Chrome can do it, why not Visual Studio?

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Krzysztof Kalinowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Wesley Kenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and make a unified interface for all developers using whatever technique suites you so writing extensions is no longer a pain ********** (rewrite them into clean architecture and let all the "old" interfaces live on without bothering the new developers with this legacy)

• Almagnus1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like something akin to the Windows Update UI - Show me the updates with the categories, and let me select whatever subset (or all of them), click Install, and agree to EULAs as necessary, but automate the process.

If VS needs a restart to install things, then that's fine provided it's exactly one restart per update batch.

• PacMani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably not too easy to implement due to the nature how extensions are loaded.

• NN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow extensions to be installed and removed without restarting VS.

• Tina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you install an Add-on on latest versions of Firefox, it doesn't require a restart, but refreshes the related components within the running process.

VS is a giant! It can handle it too, instead of cry like babies for a restart!

• Boris Lehečka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also make update of extension more automatic, not manual - with a little bit more extenstion it takes minutes to show Extension Manager with update extensions and then click "Update", "Accept" and Install.

Feedback and Knowledge Base