I suggest you ...

Report Designer

As Microsoft determined LightSwitch as tool not only for developers, it would be very useful to have Report Designer and be able to make Report directly from LightSwitch.
This is one of the most wanted feature that non-evelopers need.

At the moment, making reports is bit of challenging and need a big efforts to be done.

1,114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Spaso Lazarevic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Spaso,

Thank you for taking the time to create this suggestion.

We carefully considered this suggestion, but given that there are already many options for creating reports, we have decided to decline this suggestion.

SQL Server Reporting Services can be used to create reports for a LightSwitch application. See instructions how to do this at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj635142.aspx. Alternatively, a blog post describing how to use Active Reports in LightSwitch is available at http://lightswitchhelpwebsite.com/Blog/tabid/61/EntryId/3253/Creating-Multiple-Reports-in-a-Single-Project-Using-ActiveReports.aspx.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • william commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use SSRS a lot. To be fair, SSRS is a solution, but not thee solution. It is 10+ years old. Debugging stinks, Intellisense don't work right half the time or not at all. Mix of VBA and VB.net is strange. No c#, no Linq integration, same old tired sql designer (sql designer should now have a Linq window designer for example), old charting, single line expressions is very limited. not integrated into app (like access). MS desperately needs an upgrade to reporting engine they can leverage everywhere, in apps and as vNext SSRS. DevExpress is not solution either. They suffer from above also.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For reports we already have a perfect platform called SSRS, what is missing is people with competence to integrate somehow this platform with the lightswitch.

integrate natively and is not juggling to get decent report on a LOB application

• Jim Waa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see ActiveReports as an option now, but its still too much work to put one little report in an application. As a one man show, I'd like to see a Report Designer integrated into the Lightswitch experience. Its should have that Access development feel, where you can switch from data to UI to reports, and back again.

• Rio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should implement a solution to be able to integrate the SQLRS to Lighswitch, otherwise how can an application be published without reporting capabilities.

Third party solutions (Devexpress) are limited at best

• Jose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame not to have a silverlight platform native reports, to a platform that is said to be LOB nor has either a native report designer.
        DISAPPOINTING and frustrating for developers who waste their time with this platform microsoft

It defies belief that Ls is so limited in this area. What are MS playing at? I ahve been working with LS for months now and it appears completey as a work in progress. It's almost like a pilot or prototype app. MS seem to be feeling their way instead of investing in this product properly from the start.
        Come on MS. If you want LS to survive it must have bult in reporting! even crummy old Access had that..

• vishwas mokashi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If LightSwitch is for developing business applications, it has to have report designer. Without reports no application is called as business application.

• Ladi Omole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LIghtswitch for report/dashboard.
        Since data integrity already enforced in LS. Chart components on top of the underline data can make LS a perfect tool for dashboard reporting.

• uh non e-mouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forms and reporting have been basic features in Access for years. If LightSwitch is going to sell, it needs to have those basic capabilities installed by default.

And as far as "alternatives," DevExpress won't even confirm whether or not they will have functional reporting software for LightSwitch when VS11 comes out. Trust me. I argued with them for a half hour about it.

• Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or simply let use the rdl reports already in VS within Lightswitch they should be integrated in the LS project under a new Reports sub-folder Data / Screens / Reports. Should be able to feed the same data/custom queries to the reports datasource.

• andrew.mcclenaghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rdl is our preferred solution due to the way we use them extensively throughout the company already and how simple they are to pick up like Lightswitch

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be great a CR engine, because we have lots of reports made in Crystal Reports, and it would be great to use that old reports in our new LS applications, instead of making all the reports again.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the pending news that Microsoft will purchase DevExpress later this year then all this becomes a moot point. Oh wait, I think it was DevExpress acquiring Microsoft. Alright, seriously, I think Microsoft should include XtraReports with LS. Perhaps MS could charge a little extra and pass that on to DevExpress.

• Daver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, it's a great idea. This way the reports can look consistent with the application screens and themes. When you think about it it's kind of redundant. With MVVM, the Report should simply be another View that reuses the ViewModel and Model.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this will be solved with the upcoming Crescent tool within the next version of SQL.
        Since Crescent is also a Silverlight Client it should fit very nicely into this product as well. Crescent is like SSRS on steroids, very very cool product and when combined with this very cool product would be a match made in heaven!

• Simon Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that all the many and various ideas posted here that suggest building reporting into LightSwitch ought to be combined into one or two in order to better gauge the community support.

I agree with Simon Jones and for that reason I voted for another idea that asks exactly that:better integration with rdl reports.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base