Provide capability to update a Domain Service
When using an entity data model generated from a database, it is easy to update the data model (right click and select update from database); however, updating an associated domain service is not so easy.
- There is currently no update capability
- To accommodate requires deleting and re-creating the domain service, this is combersome when you have added custom methods
- During the DomainService.cs code generation process make the new domain service reside within a partial
class, this will help better accommodate custom code.
- Do the same as above with the metadata class if it is created.
- With partial classes in place, provide an “update” capability – this will re-generate the code (and metadata base
files) if they exist using the same model as used initially.
- Ideally provide some underlying dependencies such that when the data model is updated it triggers a dialog that
says “data model” has been updated do you wish to regenerate xxDomainService which is based on this
model… then proceed with the update.
I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is closing it at this time.
If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!
Program Manager, Visual Studio