I suggest you ...

Ensure that you do not release a future version of Visual Studio without BIDS (SSRS, SSIS) support.

Please ensure that you do not release any future versions of Visul Studio that do not have full support for (BIDS) SSRS, SSIS. This has resulted in a significant delay in rolling out VS2010 here, and in fact now that I heard BIDS will not be supported in Windows XP, we may skip VS2010, so now our team is missing out on so many great features.

260 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Yes, the ideal is to be ready with the BI project types by the time a new VS version ships. In the VS 2017 release, we managed to do this for SSAS and SSRS project types (the VSIXes are available in the Gallery), while SSIS is still a work in progress, but in general, the goal is to be ready as soon as possible with every new VS release.

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could have not stated this any better. Are there that few customers using BIDS or is it because it's free with SQL Server?

• Daver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please release more frequent updates to the IDE. Don't just update the IDE when the SQL Engine is updated.

Solution Explorer 2012 is very limited in SSMS2012. We should be able to search/filter the items displayed just like VS2012.

Also, I would like to be able to have the same search everywhere feature in the text editor has for VS2012 C#.

SSRS designer has lots of bugs. If you try making a table with gray cell borders and black top and bottom borders for each record1, you will see random visual border issues for each record. Can you have an option for SSRS Reports to be definied in HTML5 and CSS instead of RDL? RDL seems to be very verbose and buggy and I don't know how to use generation tools to generate my report template.
    Obviously, you need to protect against Javascript endless loops, etc.

I just got reply from Connect.Microsoft.Com regarding "Merge SSMS 2012 with more SSDT features" "Thanks for the feedback, we understand your request. Unfortunately at this time we are not making investments in this experience area." Does this mean mean that aren't improving MS SQLMS anymore? if they don't want to do the work, shouldn't they give up control of SQL MS to the Visual Studio team? They are probably better making IDE's that the DB team anyways. It's been decades and they haven't made an radical improvements with the IDE regarding productivity.

When they finally truly redo VS as VS.Next, they must factor in SQL Server components. It's almost as if SQL Components are too tightly coupled to the IDE.

I feel that in the next version, they should change the way the toolbox works. The toolbox should be encapsulated as part of the editor. The toolbox seems to be very slow because it is trying to dynamically redraw it's self every time I switch between C# codebehind, Javascript, ASPX, reports controls, etc. By making the toolbox part of the editor, C# codebehind editor will never have a toolbox to be redrawn.

• warrenpc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you install SQL Server 2012 Client side tools, the new tool SQL Server Data Tools (SSDS – the replacement for BIDS), can be installed along with the other SQL Server Client side tools. SSDS is basically Visual Studio; but it only has the SSIS/SSAS/SSRS components installed.

Here is where it gets weird. SQL Server 2012 comes with VS2010 (disguised as SSDS) but with the 2012 SSIS/SSSA/SSRS components.

No need for a special VS2010 installation package, if you have the SQL Server client side tools installed.

I do agree that they should port the 20120 SSIS/SSAS/SSRS components to VS2012.

• Marshall A. Lambrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a software developer who designs custom software solutions for my clients. Not having BiDS support or project development templates in the new version of Visual Studio 2012 is not only a huge disappointment, but also causes an "upgrading nightmare" as I propose new versions of Microsoft products to my clients. In other words, it would be so nice to tell my clients today (right now) that they can upgrade to SQL Server 2012 and Visual Studio 2012 and get all of the current funtionality and more than staying in the SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 IDE.
    Note: to rename Visual Studio 2010 to SSDT 2012 just does not cut it for me or my clients.

• Thierry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also include any replacement features for BIDS, SSRS, or SSIS such as SSDT.

Feedback and Knowledge Base