I suggest you ...

Improve the XAML Designer performance

It often takes several seconds for a XAML Window to fully display. The editor is constantly pausing as I type, sometimes for as long as a second, before catching up with keystrokes.

1,860 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Doug Turnure - msftDoug Turnure - msft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HenryHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Staff the projects which large numbers of developers use on a daily basis. Avoid pet extensions to Visual Studio. Fix the core features for the core development technologies.

Core technologies

c#/VB.NET
        HTML/CSS/Javascript
        ASP.NET MVC
        WPF
        SQL Server, SQL
        Winforms.

Second tier and give less focus to sideline languages: R, F#, Ruby, Python; sideline tools PhoneGap/Cordova, Office 365 add-ins, TFS customizations, Nuget extensions, etc.

The SQL Server team has intense focus on the core database server and much less on all of the non-core features/tools.

• Fabrice LealFabrice Leal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this still pending after almost 6 years?!?!?!? This thing wears down my computer, please fix this

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TBH this is a disgrace. If I worked with this at MS I would be so embarrassed. Don't you guys have any pride in what you do? This has been worse than what a high school kid could make for as many years as I can remember. It's not like it is rocket science to fix. You already HAVE all the parts via the normal compiler etc. How did you manage to make it worse than notepad plus MSBuild and BAML tools?

My solution is to use another editor whenever I have to edit more than a few lines, then paste it back into VS. When you have to open another editor, to use an editor for anything practical, then you have lost pr. definition.

I agree with Jamie Chorlton. The fact that there EXISTS an addon, that kills the editor for us to make any work says it all.

Have to agree with other developers. It is becoming a nightmare developing a WPF app as every time I save, re-open or modified anything in XAML, the IDE will hang from anything from 10 to 30+ seconds. It is making impossible to work with. I can't quite believe this is still being reviewed after being opened for so many years and it is still not sorted. It's not down to any other tools such as Resharper or other third-party tools as this happens on projects that only have MS controls used in it.

The odd and frustrating thing is that I have great days where everything is super responsive but I still haven't been able to put my finger on it and no, it's not down to my antivirus or my machine spec as this occurs on both my Surface Pro 3 (i7 - 8Gb) and Desktop (i7 - RAM 16Gb) and both have tonnes of space.

Note that I've never had this problem while using XAML for UWP, so it must be specific to WPF.

Please sort this out asap as a lot of developers are running out of patience with this issue.

Thanks.

• YossuYossu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are Microsoft ever going to bother with this? It's been here for five and a half years (although the issue is even older), covers several versions of VS, and is as bad as ever.

You can see how much of an issue it is by the number of votes, and the number of forum and blog posts around. I wonder why they bother asking us for suggestions when they ignore ones that are obviously a strong pain point for so many people.

Very annoyed and fed up.

En ligne Store, le marché royal et noble, c'est aussi la raison pour laquelle la marque. Et comme le développement de l'entreprise dans le monde de la mode, et que le nom, qui est considéré comme une sorte de symbole, ils sont. carte cadeau zara homme long à mettre en évidence l'aura d'une personne. Dernier jour YOKA Xiaobian impitoyable non explosées explosive matériau de la Fashion Week de Londres, à la Sacs fin pour être tir de la rue zara soldes femme Chengshayang porter. Aujourd'hui, il y a une pléthore de design et de style qui est en gros sacs à main, de sorte que vous ne devriez pas être surpris de voir merveilleuse variété. J'ai fait toutes les recherches pour les meilleurs robe longue zara pour vous et mis sur une page dans cet article sur mon site, vous pouvez acheter.

http://www.zara-paris.com/
        Cela est dû à l'anniversaire de la peut doudoune homme zara être crédible dans presque tous les coins. Les suppléments que vous décidez d' aller avec cette robe sera aussi important que la robe - les manteaux sont grandes, semble être bonne et le confort. C'est la même chose que de votre pantalon mouillé. La sac à main version manteauée du grand format classique, un champ de gaz très. Si vous ne connaissez rien au sujet des sacs modernes, il est certain d'être au courant des États-Unis d'Amérique logements bagages design de luxe, l'entraîneur. Conception zara fille 12 ans col Bourgogne est très chic, avec décolleté en V, le style de la taille, il y a arc de jeans côté, dans le contexte de l'ourlet de la jupe et de la zara stores worldwide taille plus fine, qui prennent la T-shirt et jupe blanche, encore fraîche ****.

Sacs très à la mode de BT qui sont destinés à être pris à des endroits qui collent à elle. En 1975, qui a été créé dans une ville assez grande, et appelé Norwalk au Connecticut. plaid très populaire cette année, portant un preppy il. La longueur du champ de gaz échauffement, interpréter toujours zara homme manteau l'élégance. Convient également pour une variété d'occasions que ce genre de faire le travail, la robe de soirée chez zara navigation, des événements, etc forth. Shirt noir + pull bleu foncé + longue section vert foncé manteau de laine de revers de collants noirs + jupes noir de bottes noires, un zara carre senart de laine rouge si trop élevé le robe bicolore zara ton, calme zara soldes 2016 vert foncé est un bon choix.

robe zara femme

• Jürgen BayerJürgen Bayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio 2015 (up to date) is great, but working with WPF windows or controls is a nightmare. Visual Studio sometimes is unresponsive for seconds (causing a high CPU) for totally incomprehensible reasons, like when switching from a XAML window to another window.

• Edward LaierEdward Laier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using the latest and "Greatest" version of VS 2015. I have a simple axml layout with a button, 5 textViews, and 4 textBoxs. Needless to say when I click on designer it is taking forever to load (about 15 minutes). If I was actually experienced I would turn off designer; but no I am just starting and need to see what it looks like in a display.

Im on a 4th gen intel i7 with 8gb ram and an nvidia 740m with 2gb dedicated graphics, im able to play ffxiv on one monitor with vs 2015 open in another. the xaml designer doesn't hang or lag at all maybe only a few seconds when it loads the first time. I was only searching why on idle the xaml designer uses 25-30% of my cpu even when I only have code behind files displayed

Microsoft, if you don't fix the performance issues with Visual Studio that has been around since VS 2010, we (developers) will just stop using it. As it stands now, any large scale projects under VS 2015 on a very fast high end PC are impossible to work with because of performance problems. There are alternatives that I recommend for anyone serious about their development work and/or who's job relies of rapid application development ... NetBeans, UltraEdit, MonoDevelop, WebStorm, Xamarin Studio, SharpDevelop. Given Microsoft's lack of interest in fixing performance problems with Visual Studio 2015 (specifically XAML), we've been forced to look elsewhere for our development needs. XAML has an ugly history with Microsoft and it's original development team ... Google search and you'll find some rather interesting videos from those devs who used to work for Microsoft on VS ... it'll help explain why VS performance is still a big problem 6 years later.

It is so bad its laughable MS.

Especially if you are refactoring or have many checked out changes. I have to restart every 2-3 hours to control the performance.

I have been looking at Procmon to try to work out what the **** VS is doing and it does seem to be the rebuilding of the whole project (many XAML resources are in different dlls). My referenced dlls are being continually reloaded, checked against TFS for pending changes and then I see a **** of a lot of access to AppData\Local

I think this is a memory leak or event handler problem because the usage goes up minute after minute, hour after hour gradually becoming totally unusuable! The worst typeof bug because it slowly drives you more and more crazy before you kill devenv.exe clear all the temp and shadowcache folders and restart. Hey presto its performing well again! Until a few hours later when I want to murder the XAML design team all over again! GRRRRRR

The reality is XAML is dead to MS and they don't care that there are 10s of thousands of companies building and maintaining XAML based desktop systems. There is no money in making this environment better and therefore it is left to rot and the poor devs to suffer with this mess.

For others download it here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is feeling that WPF XAML Designer scorns Microsoft by its Performace, and Should Improve by Redesigning Or Revision!

I exprienced a lot of problems within this designer. Specially, when i edit a text in XAML section and then swich back on code view or visual designer section...
        in such a situation in my case, Visual Studio gets freeze, that i guess it is every when xaml code designer losts its focus and some (probably forced) heavy or long refreshes should operate. For example, when i click XAML section and instantly click on the designer to select a control, etc. Or when i edit a member of a ResourceDictionary that is included in my WPF Project, and then instantly switch into another tab, it takes Visual Studio into freeze state for several seconds.
        Additionally after a xaml edit, save operation takes a long time.

It seems that this behaviors comes in when a WPF Project becomes only a bit big.

In my project, every window uses some resources from a ResourceDictionary (with about 900 members) by using StaticResource, and some general styles (by type) from app resources. (note: this ResourceDictionary (as a separate file) is added in MergedResourceDictionaries of App Resources . And App Resources main dictionary includes about 30 Styles and about 10 Base Styles in another Merged ResourceDictionary file). My project has about 140 WPF Windows And Or UserControls at this time, that is growing.

It is about 8 years that i work with WPF and XAML. As an expert developer, I am afraid. I think at the end, it makes me Crazy! :-P :-(

We Still Looking for a Usable, or better, a "Fluid WPF Designer" from Microsoft... (that i think it is possible).

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be one of the most infuriating issues with using XAML. I don't even use the designer and it can still take upwards of 30 minutes just to switch between XAML files that are over 1000 lines. They aren't even that large, but all 8 cores go out to lunch and forget productivity elsewhere, VS owns the system and screws me.

• John RahJohn Rah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been almost 5 years since this original request and Visual Studio Update 3 still has woeful XAML designer performance.
        microsoft visual studio xaml designer constantly uses high CPU usage and causes Visual Studio to freeze for long periods of time.
        If UWP is to be the future for Microsoft then developers need an environment in which they can develop complex apps for the platform without constant breaks in the development flow.
        The only real solution at this point is to turn off the XAML designer in visual studio/blend which is fine for seasoned XAML developers but creates a massive learning curve for developers who want to move across to the platform. UWP is the future for Microsoft but if developers find it difficult to write apps they will go back to what they know.
        Even if there was the possibility of displaying the XAML in a wireframe mode instead of full presentation. The designer is more about layout at times and having a fast render of the XAML layout will greatly improve performance.
        Please Microsoft, you have developers who want to get behind you, look after them.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WPF designer is nearly unusable at this point 30 seconds every time I save.

• Rob R AinscoughRob R Ainscough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working with XAML designer is horrible, I'm really surprised this wasn't discovered in Beta ... or perhaps it was and just ignored. Each new version of Visual Studio seems to get worse and worse in terms of performance. I'm running VS 2015 on a high end desktop computer, M.2 SSDs, 5960X with 64GBM RAM, Win10 64, nVidia Titan X GPU ... I even overclocked my 5960X to see if that would help ... only very very slight benefit, otherwise it's EXTREMELY frustrating working in VS 2015. It becomes even more evident of just how slow VS 2015 is when I go back to projects I have in VS 2008 ... VS 2008 is considerably faster and more responsive.

For my large projects, VS 2015 is not usable ... it's so bad we've had to break up projects into smaller chunks linking DLL references rather than including the DLL project and using UI "subsets" which makes debugging extremely tedious/difficult.

I've report the performance issues in the bug/ticket system and sadly engineers have responded suggesting the "code is too complex to risk changes" ... this should be a huge RED FLAG for Microsoft.

I hope Microsoft understand the importance of this problem with VS 2015, I'll be perfectly honest, when I make platform decisions, I select Apple over MS simply because Apple's development tools are far superior in terms of performance.

Rob

• Sangsu LeeSangsu Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really terrible! Throw away the XAML designer! I am suffering from this problem for 3 years. It is still the same.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base