I suggest you ...

Bring back DirectX to C#!!!!

DirectX should be brought back to C#/VB.Net - it was such a good and powerful tool and since it has been scrapped I found it very difficult to develop any form of sound system software! DirectX or at least a better alternative!

187 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EdEd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its kinda crazy ms long ago did all they could to promote dx over gl
        Now its like a 180. They are kinda like go use gl or find a open source api
        We just don't have time to worry about the c# guys
        Or giving them a way to directly access graphics and sound acceleration ? lol ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great when you could develop 3D Games with DX12 and vb.net
        ... its really complicated to find in this topic now...

• ThainaThaina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XNA is Dead. Long Live OpenGL

At least we should have DirectX for C# but in my opinion OpenGL is the best

• Brannon B. KingBrannon B. King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SlimDX works so well and is so well maintained that I doubt Microsoft could do any better. Let's have MS put their resources somewhere else.

• acac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would definitely agree with you on that .NET should have a single low latency (close to ASIO4ALL perf which is written in hand optimized assembly) audio API that works without additional privilege requests from Silverlight/XBAP/XNA/Mobile/normal .NET etc.

• acac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DirectX sound system? What you mean? There's Naudio for .NET to do advanced sound interop like ASIO/WASAPI/MME/DirectSound etc.

There's also FMOD C# interface if you need more than that.

• estiersestiers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XNA is a set of libraries for making games, plus a limited subset of DirectX 9. It's good for what it is made for, but it's also quite restricting if you want to use some of the more advanced DirectX features or if you want to integrate DirectX capabilities into a non-game program.

A tool as important as DirectX (sound, user input, video, 3D graphics, and possibly GPGPU calculation) should be directly accessible from a Windows language as popular as .NET without requiring third-party libraries or requiring your customers to download the XNA 'videogame' branded runtime. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base