I suggest you ...

Data Compare automation table list

It would be nice to save data comparisons (in a definition file, etc) or pass in which tables to compare via command line / command utility. When comparing data in larger databases (say, 500+ tables) and I want to compare only a subset of tables (say, 50-100) the interface requires manually selecting only the desired tables. It would be nice to automate this task.

49 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
John Hennesey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • fatemeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys! I want to know is it possible to save * .dcmp and open it when we want?
    Is it possible to execute this file with command?
    I could not work with Command Window:
    Command "Sql.NewDataComparison" is not valid

• maalquin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, guys, I want to know if it is possible for the * .dcmp project file to save the configuration of the tables you select the first time, for a data comparison. This is in Visual Studio 2013, or if VS 2015 already exists.

• Tim Sneath [MS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Cristian, this idea is actually in the wrong place (extensions), so I don't think the right team is looking at it. Moving it to the database projects node where the right people may be able to help out. Thanks, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. To do a Data Compare between two databases, in order to generate a script to update a target database, we need to select tables to compare and columns for each tables. For example, we need to exclude the following columns : RowVersion, creation and modification dates, calculated columns, ..., all columns specific to a environment. In a big database with a lot of tables, it is impossible to do that manually each time we need to deliver a new version.

So we really need to be able to save the settings of a data compare to run it again later. And, we need to execute the data comparison in console mode, to automatize it for a continue integration or for an industrial deployment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base