I suggest you ...

Dataset Designer Automatic Layout

The Dataset Designer becomes a headache when you have dozens, if not more, tables. It is difficult to find the TableAdapter you are looking for unless you already know exactly where it is. Additionally, the Data Source Wizard likes to blow away your current layout and replace it with it's own. The designer needs a better way to organize the tableadapters. Something similar is available in MS ACCESS.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steven Creaney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cosme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Añadir a lo comentado, la tremenda lentitud del sistema, a la hora de agregar o editar las columnas de las tablas. Lentitud que se ha acentuado en el VS 2015.

• Support commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

View->Other Windows->Document Outline. Selecting a table or adapter in the Document Outline list will select and focus on it. I stumbled upon this in VS 2015. I have not looked to see whether I have missed using it in earlier versions.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having this issue as well with Visual Studio 2015. It causes Visual Studio to crash occasionally throughout the day because of so many tables in one dataset. It crashes at least 2-3 times a day.

• Del commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous that this bug has not been addressed across so many versions and there is apparently no plan to fix it.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The dataset designer still rearranges my tables whenever it wants to. It's also difficult to find a specific tableadapter when there are many tables to manage. As a result, I keep my datasets relatively small to avoid having issues with the designer. This has design consequences too. It would be better if MS improved the designer instead of forcing me to work around its quirky behavior.

• Antonio Ibañez Oliva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, i have a desktop project with more than 50 dataset and each one have more than 50 datetables, is a mess work with the datasets on the VS Designer, is slow, buggy, horrible!! There still exists developers that develop desktop apps. Web is not the unique field Microsoft!!

• YoshiToshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version 2008, then 2010, then 2013 and now 2015.
    It took almost 10 years, but Dataset Designer is still such as it was many years ago...

Feedback and Knowledge Base