I suggest you ...

Make Visual Studio startup and shutdown faster

Application startup without any solution/project should be instantaneous (less than 1 second)
Application shutdown should not exceed 100ms for each open project and should show a progress bar.

2,016 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Uri Cohen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you to all who provided ideas and votes on this topic. We used that data to help prioritize the improvements starting in Visual Studio 2012 and have been continuing with every release.

As our Visual Studio performance team continuingly work on Visual Studio startup and shutdown experience, we’d like to close this item to give your votes back to use on other topics, and help us focus our team’s investments. Our Visual Studio performance team will continue working to improve performance at an ongoing basis. When you have specific performance issues, it’s now really easy to use the feedback tools right inside Visual Studio to send us feedback with performance traces, see instructions on how to do this here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/mt632287.aspx ; these traces help us to home in on your issues more precisely.

Please use Visual Studio (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566) and continue your feedback and votes– we highly value your feedback.
Visual Studio Team

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks ed,
    "devenv /setup"

helped a lot. right click could be faster but the running the above helped a lot. :)

Would be nice for vs to be able to diagnose itself (and self fix ) - no use in reporting problems that the user has no idea how to address (at least for some users).

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Ed, you solved my slow startup issues. Make sure when you run the command you do it elevated.

• Ed Kolis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another trick: go to Windows Defender or whatever your preferred antivirus software is, and exclude devenv.exe from scans.

• Penny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently have Visual Studio Community 2015, and it takes almost 5 minutes to launch. Not sure why? Would really like to know how I can speed it up without downloading new unknown software please? Thank you!!

• Ed Kolis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try running

devenv /setup

to rescan your extensions. There may be some that are corrupted, and this fixed most of them for me, reducing startup time from over a minute to under 10 seconds.

• Song commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost every friend in my university not willing to learn UWP because they are too slow for their laptops, adding a project takes 20 seconds and above

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS 2008 starts up in less than a second on my machine. VS 2010 and 2015 Community take 10 seconds or more.

The IDE has got much worse since they moved it to WPF. That all-grey VS 2012 GUI was a disgrace.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have VS2013 on 2 machines, both with decent hardware. On the first PC, when i try starting it up, it takes about 2 minutes for me to be able to interact with it. Meanwhile, it tells me it's not responding.
    On my second machine, it starts in 2 seconds.

• david commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even on lightning fast machines, VS is extremely slow in debugging, autocomplete, startup, etc. TFS operations are causing me daily productivity hits of up to 20 minutes EACH PROJECT BEING LOADED. Multiply that by the 5+ projects I work on daily...

Fix this, VS team!!!!

• Victor Zakharov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS 2010 is slow to load and unload, even on my Vertex 2 SSD, 16GB of memory and i7-2600. And yes, for this kind of hardware 5 seconds is considered slow.

• gast128 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes on my work with a DELL T3500 4 core Xeon with 6 GB and Windows 7 it takes more than 30 seconds to load VS2010. VS2003 on same machine loads under 5 seconds...

• Dev10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The hard-disk takes a massive beating with starting up VS 2010 until Windows caches some of it. Running an ASP.Net app in debug can also thrash the disk. This is a terrible trend in MS products (SQL Server 2012 just hammers the disk when loading reports, or the management studio).

• Floele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Benjol: Not a funny request, at my work place we have a lot of smaller projects that we open and close (and use at the same time) many times a day. So it does actually matter how fast VS loads. I'm happy to see that VS11 has improved quite a lot on that.

• Oather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> why in the world would there be such a drastic difference betweem VS 2010 load time and VS 2008?

.net

• Alon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to the progress bar issue: Currently there is a progress bar indicating the progress of opening every project separately. What would be much better (in addition) is to have an overall solution opening progress bar.

• David Rathbone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look at this Microsoft, You have uses that think VS2010 is slow to start... How about you guys being abit faster to fix it in a service pak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base