I suggest you ...

Make the Workflow Foundation Designer Faster

The Workflow Foundation designer is particularly terrible whenever dealing with large workflows. A perfect example is the default build process template XAML file that comes with TFS Build.

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ed Blankenship shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to add: have the TFS build team actually talk to the workflow team. With VS 2010, it was very clear that the TFS team was using WF in ways the workflow team had not intended it and it was and is painful all around.

• Ron Jacobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback - the good news is that we have some good performance improvements in the WF Designer for Visual Studio 11 but unfortunately they didn't make it into the Visual Studio 11 developer preview release. You should see significant gains in the beta release.

We have a Workflow Specific UserVoice forum at http://wf4.uservoice.com if you have other suggestions.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The performance of this designer is abysmal. It is a huge memory hog and slow beyond belief.

I really can't believe that this was released as it is. Just opening my simple 80K build file adds 400,000K to the memory footprint of Visual Studio.

Please Please Please: Fix this or go back to MSBuild as the TFS Build engine. (At least that XML was readable. Manually editing Workflow Foundation XML is much ******.)

• David Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried twice to setup a custom automated build using TFS build and have failed both times due to the unusable designer. This needs to be fixed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base