I suggest you ...

Intellisense in XML Documentation For <exception>, <see> and <seealso>

I'm often adding <see cref="Type"> or <see cref="Type.Member"/> elements to the /// comments in C# code. When writing them, I have to type (or copy-paste) the full name of the type/member I'm referencing.

There should be Intellisense similar to when writing actual code available when using the <exception>, <see> and <seealso> tags.

108 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Martin CostelloMartin Costello shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JMCF125JMCF125 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, writing xml comments in visual c# is almost like writing them in notepad.

• A. D.A. D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I fully agree. Your suggestion would be rather useful to have implemented in Visual Studio.

It's currently quite cumbersome to manually add fully qualified class names to &lt;see cref="..."&gt; tags. ... And it's awkward that only after compiling you see that you'd been entering invalid types, parameter names etc.

• David KeanDavid Kean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah, actually provide the description of why the exception is thrown? Yes, that would be useful.

• Martin CostelloMartin Costello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@David Kean, it's not about having intellisense add these types, it's about getting Visual Studio to provide Intellisense for the values you put in their cref attributes.

• Martin CostelloMartin Costello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My tags got removed on posting.

"Im often adding &lt;see cref=&quot;Type&quot;/&gt; or &lt;see cref=&quot;Type.Member&quot;/&gt; ..."

"... when using the &lt;exception&gt;, &lt;see&gt; and &lt;seealso&gt; tags."

Feedback and Knowledge Base