I suggest you ...

Autoconvert between C# and VB

It was a big and great step to merge C and Visual Basic language in VS by using C# and VB.Net Syntax. But now, it is needed to split or convert projects. It would be creat to have an solution to convert a class in Visual Studio or use both classes in same project.

58 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Timo Boehme shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Robert Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I can tell the only reason for using VB or C# over the other language is your aesthetic preference. Both languages have the full power of ASP.NET in a slightly different syntax, and automatic converters can switch one to the other.

As a VB programmer I find a lot of documentation uses C#. I'd like to be able to simply include a C# class in my VB project, and to view any class in either C# or VB syntax. If I'm wrong about 100% equivalence then allow this for the 95% (or whatever) of cases where it is possible.

• sdorman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should become possible when Rosalyn ships and I believe it was shown in a demo by Anders at Build 2011.

Feedback and Knowledge Base