I suggest you ...

Stop polluting My Documents with Visual Studio folders

Visual Studio creates a new folder in My Documents with every version. Over time, if the user requires many different versions of Visual Studio installed, this pollutes the folder. My Documents is supposed to be where I keep, well, my documents.

This even goes again Microsoft's own software design guidelines, if I remember them right.

Most of the subfolders should be moved to the existing AppData Visual Studio folder. The Projects subfolder has no reason to exist, since you might as well default the My Documents folder when creating new projects (the user can obviouly change this at the time, it's just a default location, as with any other app.)

542 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew McDonald shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

We’ve begun work on this and are considering changing the default location for new projects to C:\\USERPROFILE\Source\repos. Would this be a reasonable change to address the problem of “clutter” in the Documents folder? This is currently the default for cloned repositories, so all projects would be in a singular default location.

As well, you still retain the option to change the default if you’d like.

Allison Buchholtz-Au
    Program Manager – VS IDE

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about you just provide a setting(s) so that each person can stash the **** where they want? Why assume any location? The moment you do, some jack-wagon like me is going to ***** that you guess wrong yet again.

• John Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I created a folder under <User> called Development that I use for my project files so that so that I have something similar to My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, etc. specifically for development. I too would like to move any related VS configuration to that location. I'm currently still on Ultimate 2013 so I don't know if that's a change in 2015/2017. Hope to migrate soon but as a Solutions Engineer, scripter, developer, I was relegated to what license we had at the time.

• Anders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also the IISExpres, SQL Management Studio, Visual Studio and OneNote folders should go away.

Why do I automatically get all these empty placeholder folders? Does noone at Microsoft enjoy a clean structure themselves?

The IISExpress casues a nightmare with technologies like OneDrive and windows built in profile/folder sync. The IISExpress folder is actually more of a temp folder with all its continous logging etc.

Now if Microsoft stops forcing a structure into my data folder, other vendors might also stop creating folders for me there. After all, the documents folder should be mine to control the structure of.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree, please get these out of the My Documents folder! I have installed 5 or 6 different versions and since those build everything into the My Documents I keep pulling forward old folders/files and seemingly everytime I delete them and try to reset all of the folders to a new location, something will go back and recreate those folders and start throwing files back out there.

I suggest creating a setup tool that allows setting the locations of all of those folders and run as part of install or any time after install to reconfigure. My problem is that my employer has chosen to setup folder redirection on my entire user folder, so when I have connectivity issues with the network, login from home before connecting to VPN, or WiFi in the building drops out Visual Studio and SQL studio become useless, and even when connected it takes forever on startup. I want to be able to easily change everything to a local drive without having to dig through multiple options menus and registry editor.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Changing the default location for new projects is COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT. The issue isn't with project folders because that's already user-configurable. The issue is with the stuff VS WON'T .allow you to change. I use OneDrive for all my personal files because I can access them from anywhere (and more to the point, so can my NAS drive which runs daily backups). I don't want this stuff polluted with stuff that belongs in application data, not user data and certainly doesn't belong in my backups.

It's grotesque that the VS team don't seem to live in the 21st century and are so far behind the curve on what the problem even is. How on earth do MS organise their code projects that this stuff is still hard coded into VS?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys, can You just provide some registry keys so I can change the idiotic behaviour of creating folders:
        Visual Studio 2017/StartPages
        Visual Studio 2017/ArchitectureExplorer
        etc.

This is so idiotic and kills the integration of documents with OneDrive for business.
        This only shows that VS devs are 20 years behind current MS

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That location would seem good to me.
        I'm trying to avoid it defaulting to redirected company network drives (v. slow)
        We're migrating the company to OneDrive and using that for redirecting default folders. When re-directing there the c# folder name is illegal. so get it out of 'My Documents' get the IT Pro/Admin votes.

• Brady Healey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So now we have C:\Users\<User>\Source\, which I don't like but oh well. I've changed it to my own projects folder so no harm. However we still have the junk project/item templates which should be in AppData really. Worst of all, visual studio still makes the stupid 'StartPages' folder and there's no option to change it. The folder doesn't even contain anything. Problem not fixed. You'd think MS of all companies would be respecting the purpose of various windows directories the most. Unreal.

• YourMama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about work also on clean installation on only one drive. We have small SSDs, we're not millionaires. And It can be done, since I have two PGP mounted drives to circumvent this.

• Søren Nguyen Boisen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allison -
        To me the important changes are:
        1) Split the content so projects go to one location and VS cruft like snippets go to another.
        2) Allow user to override default location of project folder.
        3) Use the same name regardless of VS version to avoid future cruft.

• Brian Drennan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for the default for new projects to be under %USERPROFILE%\Source or %USERPROFILE%\Source\Repos by default (but obviously to the user's default folder when set). For settings docs (non-projects, snippets), I like the idea of using the AppData folder. My Documents is the absolute worst when your organization decides to employ folder redirection with OneDrive... Sync errors for days! I wish IISExpress was easier to configure to change this as well (I just gave up).

• Jan Kučera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well in my documents, there are Visual Studio 10/11/14/15/2005/2008/2010/2012/2013/2015/2017 folders and I am happy with that.

I do keep my "serious" projects in a separate folder and source control backed-up projects on different drive, but the random and ad-hoc projects I keep in the document folders.(And my separate project folder has symlinks to the document folders too.)

If this is customizable at install time, the documents folder should probably be still default 1) as it is actually the recommended location for user's stuff AFAIK - definitely not AppData as has also been explained below 2) for backwards compatibility reasons.

But I agree with Patrick and TheLievense that the plurality of mostly empty folders in those VS directories is unnecessary.

• Del Woodcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C:\\USERPROFILE\Source\repos is still not good.
        I put all my stuff in C:\SourceCode on my system. And besides TFS, I back it up to a network share every night.
        What needs to happen is make it an option to locate the folders where ever you want before installation.

%USERPROFILE%\Source is still not the correct location, it's just more clutter!

Program base installation goes to Program Files
        Per-program data goes to ProgramData
        Per-user data goes to %USERPROFILE%/AppData

It's not hard, seriously. I uninstall any software that bloats the wrong directory. The worst part is that you guys can't even provide a simple option to move the start page folder, so it's still stuck in our documents.

This is critical - our documents folder is mapped to the network and results in Visual Studio running *horribly* slow.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, C:\UserProfile\Source\Repos would be an improvement, but even better would be something off the root, i.e. C:\Code. This is what I always do. Inevitably, I am at the command line and don't want to deal with typing spaces. Rationale (1) We're talking about developers who understand the concept of folders and files, not people who need the security of "My Documents" library that masks the real folder. (2) Development tools are installed on the PC and source is in Git/TFS so less concern about backing up stuff out of the documents folder.

• Fadi R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's what VirtualBox is for my friend, keeps Visual Studio from turning your Work Station upside down because polluting your Documents is the least of it's offenses. It's also useful when you want to completely separate environments different editions so that they don't step on each other's toes or even just isolate different projects from each other. I've experienced no performance hits doing this.

• TJ Horton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow a user to change the parent filler, don't fix it to any location. Also never assume c: drive.

• Erik Ušaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Allison, hi Mark,

Make sure that setup has an option to define the global folder for VS projects.
        Developer customers should be able to select appropriate global folder for their needs:
        - default (as recomanded by Microsoft, best practices, GPOs, available space, etc.)
        - custom (anything that makes sense to developer; for example external drive on systems with limited primary drive space / limited space on User folders)

On top of that setup should include steps to define personal and company version control system (git, svn, mercurial, ...) and project locations should be separated for company vs. personal projects. For example my current company requires all personal files are stored in a "\personal" folder on any drive. Company does not have rights to access that folder.

Setting up a meeting with Windows / Windows Server PMs responsable for Folder Recirection features and associated GPO settings might be also a good idea.
        ( see & read: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275(v=ws.11).aspx )
        Discuss possible issued customer can face with poorly congigured GPOs, space limitations on a typical Office knowledge worker space allocation size, etc.

Best Regards,
        Erik

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base