I suggest you ...

Static site/html generation as a project type with Publish support

Static file hosting (CDN) is by far the most cost-effective, reliable and scalable way to get content on the web. Unfortunately, Visual Studio doesn't make creating such sites easy. That's tragic since Visual Studio includes all the required technologies to create a best-in-class solution (project meta data, Razor, T4, Publishing, etc.)

A "Static Site Generator Project" would allow me to author master pages, html, content, css, javascript and "publish time" code. When published the project will generate a site than can be hosted via any static file serving service (including removable media). Operations done during publishing would include HTML generation (expansion of master pages, variable substitution, "publish time" code execution) as well as site map generation and URL rewriting that allows me to use several different server name (s1.domain.com, s2.domain.com, etc.). Ideally, it would also combine and minify JS and CSS, create sprite images and data URIs where applicable, and pre-compress (gzip) files where appropriate.

Please recognize that not all sites include server-side dynamics (because with SaaS we are equally likely to use a third party or API site via AJAX), and add project types for static sites that can be published to file systems, FTP or CDN hosting directly.

194 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Lee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Amauri B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1.. I currently have to rely on other programs to edit/create single file proyects

• PeterM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great for me too, I would really like to see VS opened up to other web languages such as html5, css javascript and things like PHP.

I have been using VS.PHP for a while which is good and works well(ish) for what I need. However, it doesnt support design views of PHP code which is a little irritating.

If VS could support these things natively then it would be far easier for someone like me who is developing enhancements to an existing open source ecommerce solution in hmtl & PHP and also writing backend 2 way flow interfaces from the ecommerce solution into an accounting system using VB.

If one IDE, my prefered IDE i.e. VS could support all areas of this development I would be very happy!

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brilliant idea. Should be able to make it a studio extension.

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks to Scott Guthrie for addressing this question on the LIDNUG webcast this morning. To clarify, since this is a VisualStudio topic I'm mainly interested in the ability to create website projects in my solutions that end up being deployed as static files. In almost every case, such projects would be a part of a solution that also includes sites with dynamic capabilities (services, form handlers, etc.). I will be happy to look at Azure CDN (as well as AWS CloudFront and RackSpace CloudFiles, to be frank) as the host for the output of these projects, of course, so enabling them in that respect is very welcome, too -- but that's a little off-topic here. :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something I would definitely use. Can only hope they will consider adding this as a patch/addon or in a future version. Thanks Lee!

Feedback and Knowledge Base