"View White Space" should show line endings too
* Visual Studio > Edit menu > Advanced > View White Space.
* Currently, this feature shows a symbol for space and tab characters.
* I would like to be able to view line endings too.
* I would like to be able to view what style of line ending was used.
And that's it for the request.
And now I offer some suggestions as to how this may look. Here's what I've seen other tools do:
* TortoiseMerge uses a single, unobtrusive symbol. It is "light" and does not distract from the main document text. They have a down arrow symbol to represent LF; a left arrow symbol to represent CR; and down-and-left arrow (i.e. a single symbol) to represent CRLF.
* Notepad++ uses a single symbol per character. So the CRLF would be two symbols (one for CR and one for LF). Their symbol choice is a bit "heavy", but is probably quite flexible when it comes to displaying other non-visible Unicode characters.
* Notepad++ offers options to select which white space characters to display. Options include "space and tab only", "end of line" and "show all characters". It would be great if Visual Studio can offer similar options.
I do not want to rely on the author of "End of the Line" to keep updating with Visual Studio (as they have not updated for the VS2019 preview, despite the instructions to do so being released months ago). There is absolutely no reason that a text-editing program like Visual Studio should require an extension to view line endings, especially when every other text editor CAN show line endings (including Microsoft's own VS Code!). I see that voting is closed on this issue; I hope that you do not think this issue is resolved, because it most certainly is not. I just hope it won't be another five years before someone from Microsoft sees this comment...
There are extensions such as the "End of the Line" extension that does exactly that https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/545e56a7-98d7-47f9-9d84-4681f2903060.
Visual Studio Web Team
Yes, I need it too. Please show CR and LF.
I agree that it is better to have separate symbols for CR and LF, though once character for CRLF would also be helpful. This would greatly simplify the process of identifying the type of line ending.
I also agree that there should be options which allow the individual white space characters to be hidden. Personally I would have a setting for each character.
I think it would be helpful, but unnecessary, to add the ability to specify a custom symbol for each white space character.
This is breaking my workflow. To see line endings I need to launch Notepad++.
Steen Hulthin Rasmussen commented
This feature has become even more important with the git support in Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 since line ending are (by normally) handled by git.