I suggest you ...

Ability to configure Source Control settings per project

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351128/ability-to-configure-source-control-settings-per-p.html
Currently, The source control settings can be set per windows user.So if I'm working on different projects and each one has it's own Source Control (VSS,TFS,Tortoise...etc), then every time I want to open one of the project, I have to go and change VS source control settings to meet the source control that is being used for the project...

This is a time consuming and causes a frustration for me.

Vote please :)

1,648 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anas Ghanem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea! We completely understand how auto-switching SCC providers would help increase your productivity. Although we plan to make this available to you in the near future, we are still in the planning process and may reach out for your feedback as we start to define how tackle this problem. We will check back as soon as possible with any updates to this request. Allison Buchholtz-Au: VS Program Manager ​​

56 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very frustrating for me since every time I go in and choose "None" then the next time I open the project it chooses Git again. It takes like 3 minutes for VS to stop chugging when I choose None

• chuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this happen. We would like to go to team and all of our projects are in source safe and it would be a pain to continually switch from one to the other. Please add this functionality.

• lost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also desperately need this. But to others I just wanted to note, that if your source control plugin supports scc bindings, then source control should automatically change whenever you open solution.

So I'd like to have per-project, not per-solution.

• Edward Bishop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe this has not been implemented yet. I've been using at least 2 source control systems for over 10 years and I currently use 4. This has needed implementing for as long as I have been using visual studio (2003).

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this still not fixed in 2014? Can't believe it. Changing the source control plugin all the time is certainly not correct.

• rgc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major issue when working on multiple solutions each with differing source control providers. I'm shocked that half way thru 2014 we're having to resort to begging for this critical issue to finally be fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with the other comments. Either make per solution (preferred) or make changing the value a simple drop-down on a toolbar

• Jeff Bowden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if the current source control plug-in was managed by the project/solution settings when loaded! MS, please consider adding this. Alternatively, something in the toolbar that allows one to change this without drilling down into the menu->options->source control would be better than nothing.

• damianh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of those death by a thousand cuts thing. Every single day, every single project, I have to adjust this setting.

• Jamie Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe I run HG, TFS, and the occasional SVN every week as a consultant with multiple customers and projects I'm involved with.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base