I suggest you ...

Enable WPF designer in VS 11 to support nested user controls on x64

Presently, the WPF designer in VS11 crashes when I try to open a WPF Window or User Control that uses other nested User Controls - what is considered a standard and recommended practice of building UI blocks.

The error I get is:

"Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms because the document contains custom elements."

From my point of view this is a catastrophic slip-up, as most developer boxes are x64 these days, and reusing User Controls is a recommended and standard practice.
To not support it (it works in 2010) reduces VS 11 suitability to school projects, not real-life work.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ziga Jakhel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
- The Visual Studio Team

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ziga Jakhel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tracked this down to a problem using styles defined in ResourceDictionaries, reproed in a new VS 11 WPF solution on .net 4.5

1) Create a new WPF User Control Library

2) Add a xaml with a resource dictionary (for styles)

3) Add a UserControl. (the designer works)

4) Reference the resource dictionary in the User control -> the designer throws the error

5) Remove the resource dictionary reference (comment it out) -> the designer works again

So the suggestion is to enable support for styling, as it was in VS 2010.

Feedback and Knowledge Base